CrayFish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've bought a net (the one Ady05 recommended) and have rang the EA and am just awaiting my info pack. Only thing is that the EA website states 'North West rivers are now some of the last in the country free of these invaders and are a refuge for the rare native white-clawed crayfish'.

DOH lol

A well, I did intent to go trapping whilst away camping anyway.

Can't wait to get Mr Pinchy on my wild food menu :D

Matt.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
hi matt-w
i actually phoned the EA and spoke to a guy there who was very helpfull in telling me some local waters that held the signals in before i applied

:D :D :D

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks Chaps,

I also called the very nice man at EA but was under the impression that all infested waterways are listed in the info pack? Hopefully I'll find out in a day or so. If not then I will give them a call back.

Matt.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think I'm being a bit thick! I can't find a phone number, where are you getting this geezers' number from? I wouldn't mind getting into this when I get back to UK for good in a couple of months, so I'd like to find out if there are any waterways around me where I could get some traps out.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
spamel said:
I think I'm being a bit thick! I can't find a phone number, where are you getting this geezers' number from? I wouldn't mind getting into this when I get back to UK for good in a couple of months, so I'd like to find out if there are any waterways around me where I could get some traps out.

you can try this number 01480 483968 tell them you would like an info pack on the crayfish the pack does not tell you locations but it does give you a list of phone numbers for different regions if not speak to your local fishing clubs and see if they have any problems with crayfish on there waters

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thankyou very much, I will phone them presently!! I checked out the pots on ebay and they look fantastic. I take it they pack down small and are relatively lightweight? They look so in the few pictures available.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Have been reading this thread with great interest as soon as i could think of a question someone else has asked it or answerd it, great thread and thanks for the info everybody. :You_Rock_

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Have been reading this thread with great interest as soon as i could think of a question someone else has asked it or answerd it, great thread and thanks for the info everybody. :You_Rock_

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
weekender said:
Is the way Ray killed them the best way or are there other ways of dispatching them??
Also i looked on the enviroment website, what heading do i need to look under for the license to trap.
Ideally you would use the method advocated by billycan above but that is not possible in the field.

Removing the central fin at the end of the crayfish's tail is the correct method of dispatch in France where movement of living specimens is illegal. This removes the internal organs and kills the crayfish cleanly. It is called "crayfish neutering" . You can also achieve the same result by a sharp twist of the tail which breaks the intestinal tract.

Here is a illustration of the method;

bcuk-crayfish_kill.png

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just got off the phone to an incredibly nice lady who is sending out an info pack to me as we speak. I will have to wait till I get settled back in UK to take advantage of this and also to start taking out the american invader (!) but at least I will be ahead of the game!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Guys one other thing to be aware of is that Signal Cray fish carry (but are immune to) and spread "crayfish plague" which along with the competition for food is wiping out our native white claw. The info will probably be the EA pack but thought it was worth putting in here just in case.

The plague fungal spores can survive upt to 2 weeks in water or damp environments (mud etc) so it is essential to thoroughly dry all kit (boots, waders, nets or other tackle and buckets) and preferably disinfect it before moving to a different river system to help prevent the spread.

There is quite a good page on the Penrith Anglers webpage:-

As the spores remain viable only when damp, complete drying of equipment that has been in contact with water or sediments is an effective way of killing them. It is best to avoid fishing different rivers on the same day, alternatively dry or disinfect any boots or nets before moving between rivers.

Spores can also be killed by Iodine-based (iodophors) disinfectants.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
if you guys catch any signals try this

Ingredients

15g/½oz butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 sprig thyme
handful freshly picked wild mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
250g/9oz risotto rice
100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine
600ml/1 pint hot fish stock
225g/8oz cooked crayfish tails
2 tbsp mascarpone or double cream
2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley

Method
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the shallot and garlic for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Add the thyme and mushrooms and gently fry for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice until coated in the fat. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for a minute or so.
4. Add a ladleful of the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly.
5. Add another ladleful of stock and stir again until absorbed. Continue adding more stock in this way until the grains of rice are plump and creamy. It should take about 15-18 minutes.
6. Fold in the crayfish tails for the last few minutes of cooking, followed by the mascarpone and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir through the parsley. Serve.

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
ady05 said:
if you guys catch any signals try this

Ingredients

15g/½oz butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 sprig thyme
handful freshly picked wild mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
250g/9oz risotto rice
100ml/3½fl oz dry white wine
600ml/1 pint hot fish stock
225g/8oz cooked crayfish tails
2 tbsp mascarpone or double cream
2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley

Method
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and sauté the shallot and garlic for 5 minutes, or until softened.
2. Add the thyme and mushrooms and gently fry for 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the rice until coated in the fat. Pour in the wine and allow to bubble for a minute or so.
4. Add a ladleful of the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly.
5. Add another ladleful of stock and stir again until absorbed. Continue adding more stock in this way until the grains of rice are plump and creamy. It should take about 15-18 minutes.
6. Fold in the crayfish tails for the last few minutes of cooking, followed by the mascarpone and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and stir through the parsley. Serve.

MMMmmmm..... that sound absolutly delish :You_Rock_

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Moonraker said:
Ideally you would use the method advocated by billycan above but that is not possible in the field.

Removing the central fin at the end of the crayfish's tail is the correct method of dispatch in France where movement of living specimens is illegal. This removes the internal organs and kills the crayfish cleanly. It is called "crayfish neutering" . You can also achieve the same result by a sharp twist of the tail which breaks the intestinal tract.

Here is a illustration of the method;

bcuk-crayfish_kill.png
Thats a new one on me i have only done this to remove intestinal tract after cooking. not before to kill them i will give it a go soon :beerchug:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Ok, I have received my info pack now and looking through the 'how to fill your application' section worries me slightly.

My intention is that wherever and whenever I am out and about I intend to put traps down. Aparently this is a big no-no for 2 reasons. One is that a section of the application asks for specific dates and areas, down to actual grid refs. Another is that this is actually counter productive with regards to reducing numbers as 'casual' trapping only reduces the numbers of fully grown males and to bear in mind that it is the fully grown males who tend to eat many of the adolescent crays thus self regulating to some degree. Apparently an aggressive and sustained trapping practice is what is required.

Admittedly me taking one or two once in a while will nowhere near affect things as they are and the EA say that the problem is likely to get worse over time but obviously I don't want to add to the problem through poor practice and ignorance.

If anyone can offer advice then please go ahead.

Thanks,

Matt.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
When I was a student in London one of my colleagues was mad about Pike fishing. I went wih him a couple of times and managed a 17lb fish myself. We were using 1/2mackerel as bait and if you wound them in at almost any time you could be fairly sure that there would be a large crayfish hanging off it. I was told at the time that these were the American ones but I don't remember the details.

The secret location... one of the major parks in central London. It is (or certainly was ~20 yrs ago) alive with the little beggars. Net fishing not allowed but if you had something like those net shopping baskets that collapse down on themselves with a bait in the bottom I bet you could just haul them up.

Cheers,

Steve

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
matt-w said:
Ok, I have received my info pack now and looking through the 'how to fill your application' section worries me slightly.

My intention is that wherever and whenever I am out and about I intend to put traps down. Aparently this is a big no-no for 2 reasons. One is that a section of the application asks for specific dates and areas, down to actual grid refs. Another is that this is actually counter productive with regards to reducing numbers as 'casual' trapping only reduces the numbers of fully grown males and to bear in mind that it is the fully grown males who tend to eat many of the adolescent crays thus self regulating to some degree. Apparently an aggressive and sustained trapping practice is what is required.

Admittedly me taking one or two once in a while will nowhere near affect things as they are and the EA say that the problem is likely to get worse over time but obviously I don't want to add to the problem through poor practice and ignorance.

If anyone can offer advice then please go ahead.

Thanks,

Matt.

hi matt
its not as simple as just going where you like and droping a trap or two the grid ref is a big yes but once you have given this you can phone them and tell them you wish to trap a longer stretch of the river the date issue is from the date you wish to start up untill usually a 6-12 month period depending on what your consent allows at the end of each season you have to return a catch report i guess this is for there records of growth within the river my first season was a 6 month consent then it went to 12 months the guys at EA will help you fill out the fr2 form as they did with me its not as bad as it seams as you know we need these signals removed

hope this might help you out
ady
:D :D :D :D :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE