CrayFish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

tonymac

to my knowledge there is no licence required to fish for the "american" or "signal" crayfish and in some areas I have been told that it is illegal to put them back into the water if caught, if using a cage it is easy to return our natives to the water, as the signal has bright red claws this should be simple, so if there is some law infringing on your personal freedoms to hunt shoot and fish again ignore it and use a little personal responsabilty instead.
Let the natives go and eat all the ones with red claws.
enjoy they are delicious

just checked with environment agency, and there is a licence required, so keep it subtle, you will be doing our natives a huge favour although it is way to late for most places

Jan 26, 2007
Suffolk
There definitely is a requiremnt for a licence for any trapping or netting of fish (and for this dfefinition crayfish come under it) - it is easy to obtain - there will be no problem or cost (as I remember) just ring the environment agency - there is no point getting caught for doing something without a liccence if you can get one - its just not worth it...

I believe that fishing for them either comes under your general rod licence for those who fish - or if you are using crab lines I think you are OK without - but I would get a licence anyway..

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Is the way Ray killed them the best way or are there other ways of dispatching them??
Also i looked on the enviroment website, what heading do i need to look under for the license to trap.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I recently enquired with a local EA ranger that I know about a trapping license and was told to forget it because there are native crayfish in my area (East Yorkshire) and they are paranoid about depleting native stocks (quite rightly). Nautilus 21 could well be right about rod license, etc., but I was also told the EA regard any intentional capture of crayfish by any method as trapping and you need a license to trap - because the risk is that physically moving signal crayfish can cause inadvertent population spread (however futile that might appear). I was also told that when applying for a license, you have to specify where you will go by OS Grid Reference and are advised to then seek confirmation from the land owner before actually fishing/trapping. I don't know if any of this is true, but it came from a reliable source and everything I've seen on the EA web site supports it.

There is critical mass of these non-natives in some areas and it is in these places that licenses are given out freely - because removing them helps the invasion problem. But the further north you go on mainland UK, the harder it is. I believe it is very hard to get a license much north of Manchester/Leeds. EA are targeting illegal trapping in Yorkshire at present.

The reason I was interested in the first place was because I tried them in Hampshire last summer and they really are very tasty wild food. So if they are in abundance in your area, go for it!

Chris

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
The accepted technique for dispatching them is to put the bag of them into the freezer for 1/2 an hour or so which makes them torpid and slow enough not to wriggle around or be aggessive, then just stick them into a large pan of water at a rollong boil so that they are completely submerged. There done in about 3mins.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
The crayfish in our streams here tend to be small, at least the ones that I have seen and I have just grabbed them or scooped them with a net.

The prawns however tend to be pretty darn big. A bone from a piece of fried chicken has worked great for me in a trap. But the most fun is spearing them, especially at night. Their eyes glow when you shine a light on them, so there is the target and you can also gauge their size that way too. I suspect you could do the same with crayfish.

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
hanzo said:
The crayfish in our streams here tend to be small, at least the ones that I have seen and I have just grabbed them or scooped them with a net.

The prawns however tend to be pretty darn big. A bone from a piece of fried chicken has worked great for me in a trap. But the most fun is spearing them, especially at night. Their eyes glow when you shine a light on them, so there is the target and you can also gauge their size that way too. I suspect you could do the same with crayfish.
i would love to be getting the prawns like you do as for the crayfish they are not good with bright lights and will b8gger off soon as they see it due to their colour thay can be quite hard to see :D

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
thomasturnbull said:
i would love to be getting the prawns like you do as for the crayfish they are not good with bright lights and will b8gger off soon as they see it due to their colour thay can be quite hard to see :D

When not in a survival situation, and I hope it is always not in a survival situation, it is great fun to set some traps and catch some with the spear. You will get wet that way though. Awesome when it is pitch black in a valley, stream full of prawns with guavas hanging over the pool and wild dogs baying deeper in the valley. The prawns are already hiding, but the orange eyes in the light give em away.

Do the crayfish eyes glow orange in the light like the prawns?

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
hanzo said:
When not in a survival situation, and I hope it is always not in a survival situation, it is great fun to set some traps and catch some with the spear. You will get wet that way though. Awesome when it is pitch black in a valley, stream full of prawns with guavas hanging over the pool and wild dogs baying deeper in the valley. The prawns are already hiding, but the orange eyes in the light give em away.

Do the crayfish eyes glow orange in the light like the prawns?
crayfish eyes do glow when light is shone on them but they do have smaller eyes than a prawn

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
in the next few days i will be recieving my consent form from the EA to trap crayfish this time they have given me 12 months instead of 6 and allowed me more traps and a longer stretch of the river i trap (5 miles)

:D :D :D

T

tonymac

billycan said:
The accepted technique for dispatching them is to put the bag of them into the freezer for 1/2 an hour or so which makes them torpid and slow enough not to wriggle around or be aggessive, then just stick them into a large pan of water at a rollong boil so that they are completely submerged. There done in about 3mins.
I normally find that sticking them strait into boiling water tends to make them less aggressive far quicker than taking them home to freeze first.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
have many of you actually tried fresh crayfish :) they are tops i advise not to try the so called pre-pack (crayfish tails) stuff from supermarkets no taste at all
:D :D :D :D :D

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
elrond said:
John

Loch Ken in Galloway is absolutely over-run with them. please come up here, bring yer mates and take as many as you want. They are doing real harm to the salmonid fish stocks :( ( although the Perch are thriving on them :) )

Last summer we filled a 50 gallon drum in under 4 hours, with the little b8ggers. They are a good bit smaller than their cousins down south, so getting the meat out is a wee bit more time consuming.......but they are tasty all the same.

I don't beleive a licence is required to trrap them in Scotland, but that might be worth checking out.

best area is the West end of the loch. oily fish like mackeral/herring do well, although I hav personally caught them on a worm, being fished for perch :banghead:

I'm thinking of heading down to Loch Ken for a few days and want to catch some crayfish. Can anybody tell me the best places and ways to do this? :)

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Mr scottishwolf,

the top end (west) is best (known to the pike anglers as crayfish alley - a deadbait fished on the bottom resembles a korky the cat skeleton in less than 30 mins :eek: ).

As to technique - knock yerslef up a wee creel with chicken wire or the like( there are design on t'interweecher), stick a bit o oily fish in it and chuck it oot as far as ye can.

Don't forget to to attatch a long enough lanyard ( the loch is bleeding freezing at this time of year - so you dont want to be swimming to retreive it.) I find if I don't get anything in 30 mins, move it a few yards.

have a good feast - but mind and pull the gut out of them before you chow down. Mind and check the licence situation, although if you are chapping them and eating them I can't see anyone getting to bent out of shape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE