Crayfish trapping licence

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I was out by the river today and was talking to a guy who was crayfishing. He said I could apply for a licence from the post office for £15 (or there abouts(im 16)) and he had got one but from what I have read here and elsewhere, is this just a rod licence and not legal for crayfishing? He had bought 2 traps which he caught about 80 a day in and today he was placing 2 traps he had made out of plastic bottles. However one of his bought traps had snapped its line a week ago and he hadnt found it (it was in quite deep water) but he said if I swim down and get it I could have it (will go back with some goggles tomorrow). Is it legal for me to keep the contents of this trap, ie. do you need a licence to set the trap only? Is this the wrong sort of licence?

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Applied for the licence on the Wed 9th March and the tags arrived Fri 11th March. Very quick turn around. will be going out friday to hopefully catch some craysfish.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone had recent success with obtaining a Cray fish License?

And can anyone point me in the right direction for an updated map of where Crayfish population is on UK map please.

Ta.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Hiya TeeDee, getting a license isn't difficult at all (I'll admit theyre a bit slow at getting you in the system for your first one though), but you have to find your own crayfish spot which is a pain. I could never find a map of crayfish population of any age for any area or even nationally. Unless someone has made one in the last 6 months, I'll be impressed if you find a map.

Happy Fishing
Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE