crashing trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
gregorach said:
Never had a tree come down near me, but I do remember hearing one come down in Australia. Funny thing was, there was no wind at all. We were out doing a spot of night canoing - full moon, no wind, water like glass, almost total silence apart from the occasional paddle splash - and out of the blue we heard a big tree come down in the forest. Wierd...

Wierd isn't it.
I was leading a class in plant id when a huge beech tree fell over about 200 yards away. There was no wind at all, just a huge splintering crash.
I can tell you, it really took the students minds off the edible plants they were looking for!!

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
dommyracer said:
When I worked in Exeter, a large tree came down in the grounds of the pub, on top of Mini belonging to a lady that lived in a house that was on the property.

She'd left her house, driven her car about 20 metres down the path, and then realised she'd forgotten something in the house - she went back in to get it and when she came out the car had been flattened by the tree.

I get examples like this.... '... if I'd been 5 minutes earlier I'd of been killed'... so you were about 2 miles away then?

If the lady mentioned above had'nt forgotten anything then she'd be gone by the time it fell..... or if she'd remembered before she started the car she might have been where the tree had fallen...or not.

fate is like that.

not criticizing or anything , just pointing out that life/fate/karma can throw some real loop passes at times... most sensible peeps know this, but there is always the very vocal 'I love trees but [insert excuse for felling tree]' crew out ther to contend with.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Just skidded up to one as it fell - a big old dead thing. Stopped touching the trunk - another 5mph and I would have a sun roof.

Nice picture on the phone for the album of strange thing that happen to me!

N Wales - V windy

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I get examples like this.... '... if I'd been 5 minutes earlier I'd of been killed'... so you were about 2 miles away then?

If the lady mentioned above had'nt forgotten anything then she'd be gone by the time it fell..... or if she'd remembered before she started the car she might have been where the tree had fallen...or not.

fate is like that.

not criticizing or anything , just pointing out that life/fate/karma can throw some real loop passes at times... most sensible peeps know this, but there is always the very vocal 'I love trees but [insert excuse for felling tree]' crew out ther to contend with.

Not really sure what your point is, but yeah, nothing might have happened.

I imagine it must've been a bit of a shock for her to come out of her house and find her mini underneath a 30 foot tree mind.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Some interesting/worrying points of view on here. I will say only this - How many of us venture out on a Saturday to purchase a lottery ticket in the hope that despite the incredible odds we might just get lucky? It seems we are more than happy to accept incredible odds when the outcome is likely to change our lives for the better after all somebody has got to win it.

Guess how much your nearest and dearest gets if your 'it couldn't ever happen to me attitude' finds you cold and lifeless under a tree?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I was sitting in me landy having lunch today when I saw this huge old tree fall down about 200yds in front of me. It went right across the road and totally blocked it. Wind has been really strong today and there are bits of trees all over the place.....

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Trees down everywhere here. Been clearing holes for vehicles on the bigger ones and pushing tops and limbs out of the way with the machinery since 11.00 today. Just stopped as it is getting dark and we have cleared all that we know about (10 so far). There are a couple of monsters to do but luckily not near the roads. Will keep us busy for at least a week when the ground finally dries.
The worst thing is that the ground, being so wet, allows the root system to move more than usual and then the tree falls over in a gust.
Two power lines down but luckily these are ABC type so the cable is still intact and not too dangerous. The linesmen tell me it is bedlam elsewhere too!
Don't fancy any call outs tonight though. :eek:
Swyn.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I reckon our "tree down" report count is up to about 30/40 odd

Not to mention street lights, bits of traffic lights, fences and other various street furniture.

Or stuff that been reported to the London Borough councils.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE