crashing trees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Was going to go camping this weekend but this wind is putting me off slightly, I guess they dont call dead branches 'widow makers' for nothing! Still its forcasting snow this weekend, I love bivvying in the snow.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Too Much Kit To Carry said:
Loads of trees down where I live i Kent :( Things could be worse.
Yes...It was worse. :(

I had to drive from Rochester to Aldershot, M25/A3/A31, it took 4 hours! And another 2 to get back, all for a team meeting that we could have done via audio conference. All the way home I could hear the traffic tottie saying how bad things were and listing roads that were closed. :eek:

Still I managed to stack a pile of firewood round at the Scout HQ tonight :)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I've been lucky with the traffic, happened to be in the right places and witnessed the hold ups but avoided them. I know someone who took six hours to do a journey that can take 45 minutes! We had a truck blow over on the bridge and it caused chaos, the usual long way round to avoid the bridge was shut too, so it was total gridlock around here. I reckon a few will be asking for help to put together a box for the boot of their cars this week!

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I was walking the dog this afternoon and a tree fell 30 ft in front of us in thick woodland. What a noise when they go!
I made a careful exit from the woods looking skyward most of the time.
Got home and my gazebo was in a rather strange shape just short of blowing over the fence!

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Just hope now that with the clear up we dont just see piles of wood being burnt in the open as used to happen . perhaps keep an eye on any sites that have fallen trees and make sure they are replaced ilan

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Funny, but even tho a max wind speed [sustained] of 82 kn was recorded at Aberdaron, 15 miles up the coast This gale did'nt seen quite so bad. It came at us from the west-north-west, usually the direction that gives me nightmares, especially if there's a lot of rain with it.

Not much reported damage this end, just the usual winter crop. a couple of coniferous plantations have had a knock, but only to be expected since they had started to harvest anyway.

The gales that really give me the wiggins are early winter November nor'westerlies that suddenly go north, accompanied by rain - when many trees are still in leaf.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
As Ilan said I would be disappointed to see all these trees burnt on woodpiles. As well as taking the opportunity to plant a tree, we all should take the opportunity to obtain some material and get spoon and kuksa carving. We should soon have some more fine examples of spoons and kuksas posted on the site
Chas :rolleyes:

Went into the woods/forest today, despite the winds of previous days, it was a rather lovely day. However the amount of trees, small and large that had fallen over was vast. Good opputunity for some spoon carving wood as I prefer not to use living trees for harvesting spoons. I'm glad it wasn't windy today though!

woodwalker

Oh yes and I have started carving another spoon from a piece of fallen hawthorn. :rolleyes:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I was out on site last thursday doing some stump grinding as it was obviously too windy to climb or fell and watched two trees go over....a large dead birch that snapped at about 15` up and a mature scots pine that was uprooted....both pretty impressive to watch. Last thing I did before I left site was sharpen my saw and fill them with fuel as I was expecting to have to cut my way home but in the event everything I passed on the way home had been dragged out the way by the local farmers in their tractors.

I took my mutt for a walk in my local woods today and came across two pines (seperately) that had gone over and got caught up above the footpath.....I tied the mutt up out of the way and crashed them both down safely figuring with the wisdon of murphy's law that even if they didn't choose the moment I walked under them to come down they'd be bound to land on somebody else's bonce! lol :eek:

I'm chuffed to bits with the gales though....should keep me in work for weeks if not months! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE