Crampballs' coal fungus' king alfed cakes..??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Hi all' i live in the northwest' manchester. And i cant find crampballs ANYWERE? Everything else yea' but crampballs nowere? Any good local spots that anybody knkws of would be great :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I'm from the central belt of Scotland, and there are plenty of Ash trees ,around here , of all ages and Dead ones, but in
50 and more years, I have never seen them up here either. A long time ago like a couple of years or so, a kind member
on here sent me some, which I treasure and am very sparing with.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Similar situation here in Mid Wales - no Cramp Balls at all

But down in South Wales when I visit the folks - ton of the things!

Keep your eyes peeled when you visit other places and something will come to light.

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Try the woods in Cheshire between Knutsford and Holmes Chapel - there used to be plenty around there.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Pm me your address and I'll send you some, no worries. They're dried and ready to use.

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've got a few that I collected recently, do people just use a whole one (they are only an inch or less across) as a firelighter/bit of tinder, or cut into smaller bits (quite hard and brittle though) ?

Cheers, Paul

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've got a few that I collected recently, do people just use a whole one (they are only an inch or less across) as a firelighter/bit of tinder, or cut into smaller bits (quite hard and brittle though) ?

Cheers, Paul

It depends upon how many you have and what you want to use them for. For fire-lighting, I'd break them in half (snap them in your hands rather than use a knife to cut them). Strike a spark onto the exposed concentric rings and once established, use that in your tinder bundle.

If you have a lot of them, get a good handful glowing and you can use them without any other fuel as quick heat source for cooking or even as you would char-coal briquettes on a barbeque.

You can use individual large ones as hand/pocket warmers, just remember to keep an eye on how much it is burning/remaining.

ATB

Ogri the trog

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Find some Ash Trees and you'll bound to find some, failing that pm me your address and I'll pop a few in a bag for you, 10 a penny around here.
(sorry just read the rest of thread which turns up after a few seconds and see offer already made) I tend to find them in mixed and mature ash woodland with the trees in excess of 30-40 years old) Good luck with the hunt.
Showing some of my school kids is always fun, although the smoke/smell is an acquired taste!

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
It depends upon how many you have and what you want to use them for. For fire-lighting, I'd break them in half (snap them in your hands rather than use a knife to cut them). Strike a spark onto the exposed concentric rings and once established, use that in your tinder bundle.

If you have a lot of them, get a good handful glowing and you can use them without any other fuel as quick heat source for cooking or even as you would char-coal briquettes on a barbeque.

You can use individual large ones as hand/pocket warmers, just remember to keep an eye on how much it is burning/remaining.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Thanks Ogri, I'll try some this weekend when I'm out camping with the woodgas stove :)

(I've got a meths burner as back up just in case !)

Cheers, Paul

leon-1

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul, the Daldenia Concentrica that I've seen around here are somewhat different, I commonly come across them where they are 2 inches in diameter or more. I still try to use them sparingly, a 1 inch I would normally split into quarters or in half if I was using it as an ember extender for a coal for hand drill or Bowdrill. For use with a parabolic or torch reflector I tend to use smaller bits and then transfer onto a larger piece. If you are using a fresnel lens with one then use a half and in 5 seconds you'll have a good coal on the go.

If you are using it as a coal for a tinder bundle you'll want as much of the exposed inner as possible, the hard outer casing doesn't work very well when it comes to transferring heat to the small fibres of the bundle.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Ive been lookin for a long time for crampballs and never found them' a very kind member sent me some in the post' and i love using them :) so' what happend today wen i went for a mooch for sum cattails? YEP I FOUND SOME CRAMPBALLS!! Hahaha im so happy now haha oh got some cattails to dry out aswell.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Take it from someone who was there and actually saw them do it :lmao: Don't feed cattails into a kelly kettle !

The mess is absolutely unbelievable :yikes: :D :D

Mary

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I'm from the central belt of Scotland, and there are plenty of Ash trees ,around here , of all ages and Dead ones, but in
50 and more years, I have never seen them up here either. A long time ago like a couple of years or so, a kind member
on here sent me some, which I treasure and am very sparing with.
Hi ol smokey
I’m up north in Moray and only have one patch of Cramp balls which is in a burnt out Birch forest, never seen them on Ash around here.

AYE 18/9/2014

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE