Cramp Balls and the Finding off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
go and do a course first then only if you are 500% sure you can positively identity the mushroom, don't eat anything or you will meet your maker in no time. don't be foolish!.humble advice!

I'm far from foolish, thats the reason, 'if I don't know what it is me or my daughters don't touch it'. I have looked into a fungus or shrooming course but they are either too expensive or to far away. I don't really know anyone up here either that knows much about them, I have a couple of books, but still wouldn't be to sure, as you say it's better for someone to teach us :) .

Hi Imagedude,

I did see that last night but thought it would be cheating a bit if we didn't go and get them ourselves, anyway there's lots of other things up here in Scotland we can burn :):lmao:

cheers

Andy

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Is it too late in the year to find these? Have searched in vain in my local woods for the last few days. I found some tiny ones (I think) on an old dead beech but nothing like the big "conkers" I was expecting

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Is it too late in the year to find these? Have searched in vain in my local woods for the last few days. I found some tiny ones (I think) on an old dead beech but nothing like the big "conkers" I was expecting

Not too late at all. Dead ash is your best bet. Plenty in the Chilterns at the weekend.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
They occur all year round, as they are pretty slow growing. In my woods, I just find a mature ash tree, then look for fallen wood nearby. Any sizeable pieces of dead ash are likely to have them growing on the underside if the wood isn't fresh.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've had a look on and around the fallen ashes in my local woods - nuffink... will keep looking. How long do they take to dry or can you use them "fresh"?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex

Got tons of them over in my part of the wortld, you will have to venture west for a trip out with Hugo & I one day, barring that, i have bag fulls of them here so can always bring some to a Sussex meet?

But to answer the question, they are on the Ash trees all year round.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
They are pretty dry already. Useable if black. Don't pick the grey/purple ones as they are young and growing.

Finding them is a matter of getting your eye in. Find one, and you will find hundreds.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Venture into The Other Sussex? Not sure about that... I've heard tales... :D

Would be good to meet up but I'd feel like cheating using someone else's balls :D :D :D

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I've had a look on and around the fallen ashes in my local woods - nuffink... will keep looking. How long do they take to dry or can you use them "fresh"?

Best to let them dry for a while. It doesn't take too long especially in the warmth of a coat pocket.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Treeclipper, you know Pepper Wood?

Locum67 and I live either side of it.

We've a few ash trees on the farm out at Kirknewton, I'll have a look today and get back to you.

Liam

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Tree Clipper, I understand what you mean about wanting to find your own crampballs, but if you can't get hold of any PM me and I'll send some up - I showed my Ol' Dad what they're used for a while ago and two weeks later he turned up with loads of them. I'll be showing some scouts how to use them on a survival thing they doing, but like I say, if you want some, just ask.

BTW they are really good for using a magnifying glass on too...almost instant smouldering; being black they absorb heat really well.

Hi Firelite,

Thanks for the offer, I did find some when I was down in the borders for a quick weekend hol with the family, on an old dead birch, got two of it, but weren't really that good, they just went to mush between me picking them and getting them back to the caravan :). I'll send you a pm once I get home from work and we can arrange something . :) thanks again.

Andy

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
haven't been on the forum for a bit... treeclipper, if you sent a PM i didn't get it. (I assume they don't time-out if not collected??) I know its a busy time of year, so no worries, as and when, I'll be here.

Martin

WildeUK

Nov 17, 2011
YORKSHIRE!!!
go and do a course first then only if you are 500% sure you can positively identity the mushroom, don't eat anything or you will meet your maker in no time. don't be foolish!.humble advice!

surprisingly there are actually a lot less deadly species of fungi than we think there are. Most of which are just inedible because they are too tough to chew or are just plain indigestible. The rough percentages of the fungi which you will find will be -

50% Inedible
25% Edible (But either are bland/tasteless or just doesn't taste nice at all)
20% Will make you ill (Gastric problems, instant vomiting, stomach cramps e.t.c)
4% Taste great (The ones that we usually go look for!)
1% Deadly (Goodbye)

Although this doesn't seem all too bad, I haven't tried a single fungi that I am not familiar with even though I have seen hundreds out on my travels. This again, is to the risk of the user. If you want to take that risk then it's your decision but all I think is that when I take into account how seriously ill they can make me, let alone kill me I personally don't fancy eating them. I wouldn't worry about turning them away too much......there's very little nutritional value in most fungi anyway so its not really an option to look at as a survival food. Anyways, good foraging and good luck!!!!

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
cut them in half when you get them as some of them have a grub growing in them which turns them all to dust eventually left an awful mess all over one of my shelves

Hi all,

Would just like to say a big Thank You to Firelite, for sending up some Cramp ball's :You_Rock_ , my eldest and myself have been having fun with them over the weekend.
We can get them to take a spark no problem from our firesteel but still can't quite get it using my flint and steel(but we will keep trying). Hopefully if the weather is ok tonight we will try for a full fire from scratch.

Also like to say thanks to the other members for there kind offers as well.

Cheers all and a have a Happy Christmas and a Good New Year.

Tree (Andy)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE