Cramp Balls and the Finding off

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks,

I'm interested in finding some cramp balls to try my fire making skills on them as I haven't used them.
I went out for a walk with my daughter last evening on the hunt in our local country park, but couldn't find any at all.
I know you can find them on Ash, Elm, Oak & on deadwood, but we walked about for an hour and a bit and could spot none.

Does anyone know someplace in West Lothian or there abouts that we could go and find some?

We're not wanting anyone to send us any , just give us a hint where to look, we found lots of bracket fungus but no cramp ball ( I take it it should always look like a little burnt ball on the side ofthe tree?).

any help as always would be appreciated.

cheers

Andy

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ash woodlands are pretty foolproof... look at fallen branches/stumps ect.

They are also not keen on altitude. I have none near me at 500m, but thousands at my mooching spot near sea level. Somthing to consider.

Happy hunting!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Dead ash logs, or standing dead ash. Look on the underside of fallen wood. Once you find them, you realise they are everywhere. My mushroom book says they like beech as well, but ash is best in south Wales.

ahh I thought they grew on live tree's aswell, there's my mistake we were looking on live tree's mostly. I'll try again this evening and see how we get on.
I'm just outside Edinburgh and I'm sure I've saw someone on here mention they could get them in this area.

as always :) will keep on trying

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Also, look into the bracket fungus.... you could have birch polypore, artists conk or horse hoof amongst others.

All very useful stuff, tinder related.

al.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Seconding what others have said, but i have only ever found them on ash trees , and i can find them although sparse on Dartmoor and am 1000 feet above sea level

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting Ivan... I've not found a single CB local to me. Despite finding everything else!

Forgot to add, the purple one's are best left where they are. They are juveniles. Bottom left in picture. al.

149ywk6.jpg

well I managed to go to Pepper Wood at the weekend with my eldest daughter, we have found a really nice little wood for a quick wander when we get bored, lots of differen't fungi to see but none of the elusive cramp ball :( . we took a few pics on my phone so will try and get them up for you to see. There was some bracket fungus on some big fallen trees, but not sure what they were. I wouldn't take any wood from this place as its a reserve and I don't think folks wood be happy me chopping stuff down :).
We also went for a walk along an abandoned railway track next to the wood and I found lots of Hazel, so at least I found a source for that.
Got a few other places I can try for the Cramp ball so will let you know.
On a side note we were walking back to the car and I happened to look into the hedge next to my car and spotted a huge puff ball about the size of a football, I have never seen one of these before in the flesh, we left it alone as we didn't know if we could use it for anything, I took a pic of this as well so if I can reduce the size of all the pics I will post them.

thanks again for the advice.

cheers

Andy

I was told that cramp balls are pretty rare North of North England, they seem to like warmer places. I still keep my eye out for them whilst out and I think I found some whilst down at the moot. Not sure if they were or not but they were on the fallen tree up at the firate ship. Tiny little things though.

I have a small handful that I got from John and they are pretty good at taking the sparks plus they give off a nice aroma :)

Good luck in finding them

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Giant Puffballs, Calvatia gigantea. I have seen them sliced and served up with lemon juice and looked magic,Got to be real fresh though, I have also heard they taste like s##t. Stick to penny buns Boletus edulis or Chanterelles Cantharellus Cibarius.

Last edited:

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
go and do a course first then only if you are 500% sure you can positively identity the mushroom, don't eat anything or you will meet your maker in no time. don't be foolish!.humble advice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE