crafting with mans best friend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
LMAO......lol......ours is to big but he thinks not and always tries......lol...

the Great Danes last about 7 years on average.......guinness was 7 when she got realy ill, and most of all unhappy with life, so we had to let her go.......

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Also try this, lock your wife and your dog in a room for 24hrs and after just see which one is pleased to see you!:p

Hahahahaha.

My avatar is a pic of my dog "Treacle".

I'd grown up with and have had a few Border Collies of my own over the years, it's never a nice time when they pass away.

This fella is part Collie but doesn't do the typical semi circular run, rather he's like a hairy missile when he smells/spots a rabbit. He even brings them back, I think he prefers them cooked like I do.

He loves kids, other dogs and cats (he's learning the hard way with them) and is naturally good with infirm or disadvantaged folk, though he detests chavs and boy racers.

A rescued dog, who's world consisted of the limits of his chain on the balcony where he lived for his first 8 months, to see him on the Cyrenians Farm or in the woods at 2 now, you'd think he was born to be there.

He grumbles and mutters a lot (aye he's like me) and has a very expressive face and manner. Luckily he's afraid of sheep and chickens and hasn't got his head around what a horse is. He loves the Estuary, rivers, burns, ponds and lochs, so must've been a trout in a former life.

Treacle is definately the best dog I've ever had and undoubtedly the brains of the outfit.

At 2 years old his hormones have "finally" kicked in. In the last week he has done the "only being friendly" thing with my pillows (if that works it'll save me a trip to the haberdashery), my sister, neutered dogs, lady dogs, someone's wife who could get me sacked if I mention it, and the Postman he used to chase.

He's a nightmare though, when you've just organised your pile of sized kindling for a brew and turn your attention to getting tinder lit...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ahhhh bless.....

danes tend to just park thier bum on the sofa and keep the front legs on the ground........its soooooooo funny......lol......but no boy down.....LMAO........lol....

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Here's my girl, a Siberian Husky, about nine months old in this picture.Great company,loves catching mice and is always after squirrels and grouse as well as anything else that looks interesting.

IMG_0365.jpg

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Wow, the lab's there to see, but so is the staffy! What's she like in nature? Labs can be thick as mince for their frst two years and then suddenly settle and pay attention.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
i (well my mum) had a dog till a couple of years ago, a mongel.
only downside was that the only thing he ever killed was a mouse that died of fright when it saw hime :lol: :rofl:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm just off for a trip out now and guess who will be my companion, as usual!

Image0072.jpg

Full of life until its time to rest then he normally gets to the comfy spot first
Image0156.jpg

Here's another - he's the one on the left.

Image0103.jpg

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Wow, the lab's there to see, but so is the staffy! What's she like in nature? Labs can be thick as mince for their frst two years and then suddenly settle and pay attention.

Very true! but at least they get there...................

Spaniels on the other hand, of which I have trained and worked many tend to stay that way throughout! of a couple of dozen I have been involved with I can think of only a couple! Lovely. loyal, gentle and alot of fun with boundless energy but never the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Lovely dogs everyone though, its heartwarming to know there are a good few of us that experienced that wonderful bond:35::35:

Love the Terriers there too, having lived the life with gundogs they will always be my favourite and thinking of one of the pointer breeds for next time, possibly a Vizla but would love another Fell/working terrier in the future having had a Border/lakeland cross before...........very good (and very tough!) little doggies!

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I'd love to take my dog along (springer spaniel) Unfortunately she's getting on for 14 now so doesn't really have a lot of puff left in her for long walks.

Will definitely be getting a dog when I move out of the rents place, can't wait to take him/her camping, hiking and the like.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Some lovely dogs there folks. I used to dog sit for the missus's parents dog and he was a cracker a rescue dog.
He was 15ish when we had to have him put down had lost his eyesight and was quite poorly...it was gutting I would like to have one but find some dogs Im allergic to (hayfever symptoms) Been thinking about looking after labs that are training to be blind guide dogs but think I will get too attached.
Dave

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Standard poodles are great dogs (really!) and apparently won't effect your allergies, F2 labradoodles too. You would need to check though, just what I heard. My good mate has a doodle and she's adorable

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham

not sure if i have done this right, but here are my three, a bullmastiff rotty mix, a bullterrior, and a american bullterrior, they all come with me, bushcrafting fishing.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham

my bull terrier, when i first got him, have you ever seen anything cuter, in all your life, the white one in my previous pic, is only a pup there, when I'm out, ill take a pic of them all now, they are all allot bigger now.

Last edited:

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
great dogs all..........

enjoy them..... i thought when the time came to our dog passing on i would be fine...... you know me being a big rough squaddie and that, nahhhh..... cried my eyes out all day and still do from time to time...... that was 5 months ish ago.........

I can understand this totally - I'm dreading the day I lose my dog (German Shepherd Alaskan Malamute cross). It's not that you love them more than your family, but they steal your heart in different ways I find.

I hope you feel the pain less soon mate.

ATB

Kim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE