Cracking days fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys,

Just finished gutting about 33 mackerel. What a cracking days fishing at west bexington.
Threw back more fish today than I have caught in the last few years.

All the best
Andy

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Good haul there Andy ..mackerel has got to one of my favs ..especially barbecued on the beach

Ps were you out on a boat or beach casting ?

Jason

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I was at West Bexington yesterday early evening and also caught loads of mackerel... 3 on the first cast :)

Andy did you see the small beam trawler running parallel to the Chesil... it must have scooped up tons!

We cooked ours on the beach and threw the smaller ones back, some of the fat ones were full of baby sand eels

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
There's not much point in throwing them back - Mackerel don't survive catch and release very well.
You're better off stopping fishing for them or using the smaller ones as bait for bass.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Ate, just normal mackerel.
We were casting from the beach, it was frustrating at first because my mate can cast a lot further than me. Lol.

There was a good 200 folk down there I reckon. It was packed with fishermen as far as I could see, everyone seemed to be doing well.
Tfirestarter, yes we did see the trawler, I was surprised it was in so close but like you say they must have got hundreds.

I didn't know they don't do well with catch and release either. Where is good for bass in Dorset?

Cheers lads. Andy

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I didn't know they don't do well with catch and release either. Where is good for bass in Dorset?

Cheers lads. Andy

Seatown is favoured by quite a few people.
You can get them anywhere along the Jurassic really and you don't need to cast far, they come right in close if you fish at dawn or dusk - You don't need to go much further than the first or second breaker.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mullet and Mackerel are definitely lively around here right now. How do ya'll fish for mullet? They're mainly netted here.

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Mullet have to be fished for in a very similar way to course fish. Bread flake (for example), tiny hooks and light tackle. They are cunning, canny and difficult to hook - but worth it when they've been grilled and plated.

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Aye Andy yi cannie beat fishing for the mackeral ,, when u get three on the rod at a time it's really good ,, well done bud //
is that you staying down south now or just a holiday ...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mullet have to be fished for in a very similar way to course fish. Bread flake (for example), tiny hooks and light tackle. They are cunning, canny and difficult to hook - but worth it when they've been grilled on plated.

Oh yes! Definitely worth it. Okaloosa County here in Florida has a 3 day mullet festival every Autumn. Mullet cooked every way you could imagine (my fav is rolled in cormel and pan fried) Also gator if the season's been good. Back where I grew up, in South Mississippi, mullet is referred too as "Biloxi bacon." This past weekend we were camping on the beach and they were jumping all round us as we swam.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye Andy yi cannie beat fishing for the mackeral ,, when u get three on the rod at a time it's really good ,, well done bud //
is that you staying down south now or just a holiday ...

Cheers mate. I. Jumping between Glasgow and down here at the moment.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I went down near West Bexington on Friday, only spent a hour there and got 15. We drive down the byway at the back of the beach toward Abbotsbury where its really quiet (near the pilbox). Both Bexington and Abbotsbury were packed with people but where we were we had about mile each way free of people. Just the way I like it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE