Cpap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
All,
I am after the collective help of the forum to come up with a way around my problem.
I have severe sleep apnea. I stop breathing on average 48 times an hour!!
This has only recenly been diagnosed and now I have a CPAP machine that 'keeps me breathing at night'!
It works well, but it is runs off 12v (6A) via a mains adaptor.
For those not knowing what a CPAP machine does/is, its basically an air pump (filtered and humidified) that uses the air to act as an 'air splint' to hold my throat open. It seems that I have naturally a narrow airway. It uses up to 20cms H2o pressure and I need the full pressure!
Now not many woods, have power points in them and I don't fancy lugging a 120AH 12V battery around with me lol.
so any 'lateral thinkers' out there that may have any ideas?
12v @ 6A is 36Watts but for say 12hours (enough to last a night). So ten hours would need 60AH (and you never drain a battery fully so more).you see the problem?
So how to gwet around it?
Well I wondered about a compressed air cylinder (medical grade) with regulator and mask.
But thats a lot of air you breath in 12 hours!
So any ideas?
I could do without the humidifier and drop the load down a bit (not much say to 5A current.
but thats it.
so unless I can find a way around it, sleeping in the woods etc is now out.
alan

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I know one other member on here has the same dilema, he camps with us from time to time, and also with another group, i'll keep an eye on this , and nudge him if he dont see then thread

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
That would be great!
We go away in our caravan and thats no problem ( a compromise for the wife as she hates tents lol). but I would really miss not being able to sleep out.
Alan

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
All,
This has only recenly been diagnosed and now I have a CPAP machine that 'keeps me breathing at night'!

alan

I feel for you, but what did you do before ?
if you did not have CPAP machine could you not still get through a night without one ?

and yes I dont know what im talking about :)

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Whilst no classed as 'life threatening' (although stopping breathing for so long for so much of every hour!) it raises my chances of having a stroke etc. by as much as 60%. So basically I have been told USE IT!
Before I never actually went into deep sleep (I was always aware of things around me and basically was in that 'semi sleep' stage).
If my machine breaks, they fix it/replace it in 24 hrs.
Without going into a long list of health problems, I have an undiagnosed problem that my circulation shuts down in parts of my body for no reason (I might suddenly get BLACK hands not cold purple but black like frost bite), this only lasts for a few mins, but they don't know why and they say 'relax' !!
My heart has been checked (more tests then so mick! lol) and is fine and healthy. but they think the 'control'/ endocrin system is up the spout, so my heart rate has dropped sometimes to 25BPM.
so it is 'preferred' that I use the CPAP.
Have you ever noticed thta they tell you these 'dangers/problems' but then say relax and try to lead a normal life! lol.
Alan

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi salan i have sleep apnoea i also stopped breathing 48 times an hour we both have severe sleep apnoea i use a cpap machine mine has dehumidifier to im a mouth breather im down to between 5 to 11 breaths per hour now.
ok that out of the way lets talk about your problem is it your own battery ? as i can borrow a battery from my chest clinic my consultant says there batteries should last 3x6 hour sessions without charging ,
so can you possibly borrow a spare from your clinic that way you will have a backup when you want more than one night out, at the moment when i camp i don't take my machine with me i just snore but everyone i camp with knows i have a sleep problem ivan of this forum is waiting for me to stop breathing completely
so he can have may ray mears woodlore haha what about asking a local garage to charge your battery during the day make sure you get petrol first its an idea
or a little jenny there is always away around things just stay positive i hope this helps
I've got one to borrow for the moot im going to ask tony if i can charge mine during the day so it will last the 13 days regards dave

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lugging the car battery might not be a good idea but how about a motorcycle battery? They also run on 12v and are a LOT smaller and lighter. I think you can even get dry cell ones nowadays.

Perhaps carry two and set an alarm to wake you to change over the batteries if a single one doesn't last then entire night. Obviously testing this at home before going into the wilds is HIGHLY advisable.

Can't begin to get my head around living with such a condition, but I feel for you mate.

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
hi salan i have sleep apnoea i also stopped breathing 48 times an hour we both have severe sleep apnoea i use a cpap machine mine has dehumidifier to im a mouth breather im down to between 5 to 11 breaths per hour now.
ok that out of the way lets talk about your problem is it your own battery ? as i can borrow a battery from my chest clinic my consultant says there batteries should last 3x6 hour sessions without charging ,
so can you possibly borrow a spare from your clinic that way you will have a backup when you want more than one night out, at the moment when i camp i don't take my machine with me i just snore but everyone i camp with knows i have a sleep problem ivan of this forum is waiting for me to stop breathing completely
so he can have may ray mears woodlore haha what about asking a local garage to charge your battery during the day make sure you get petrol first its an idea
or a little jenny there is always away around things just stay positive i hope this helps
I've got one to borrow for the moot im going to ask tony if i can charge mine during the day so it will last the 13 days regards dave

Hi Dave, My CPAP runs from mains but is really 12v, so it doesn't have a battery. but could you give me the make and model of yours?
I rekon that I would need a 60/75AH battery at 12v. That in lead acid is big and heavy, but not impossible.
when we are in the caravan, we usually have mains hookup or I run it from the caravan battery.
some ideas comming out here so great.
Alan

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Try using mobility scooter battery, small and powerful, I know someone who uses just this and lasts through the night.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I too have it bad but can do without the cpap for a night or two.
Mines works off the mains.
It certainly makes a difference getting a good nights proper sleep.

Keep meaning to ask the team at Glasgow if there is a version for using at camp.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I’ve got just the thing for you. Its an old car jump start thing that i've modded. I've put a high capacity battery in it, took the jump leads off it and wired a 300w inverter into a little compartment in the back. It powers a 240v electric blanket all night in swmbo's tent without any extra power coming from anywhere else. If you think this might work, your more than welcome to borrow it and give it a try.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
Hi Dave, My CPAP runs from mains but is really 12v, so it doesn't have a battery. but could you give me the make and model of yours?
I rekon that I would need a 60/75AH battery at 12v. That in lead acid is big and heavy, but not impossible.
when we are in the caravan, we usually have mains hookup or I run it from the caravan battery.
some ideas comming out here so great.
Alan
hi alan the model i have is a phillips respironics REMstar pro c-flex +with a system one dehumidifier mine runs through mains with a 12v adaptor to .
i like greys idea to mabe grey can give us some more detailed plans of what he has done regards dave

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Would a 12v power pack like those used to jump start a car do the job? My mother in law has a cpap and hers only last a hour on a car battery in caravan she's looking at the proper pack but at £250 that's pricey.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Ok fellas, took some pics....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370201265.783445.jpg
This is the thing itself with the jump leads removed, mug is for size comparison.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370201328.275045.jpg
A bit closer, notice this one has 3x12volt cigarette adapters.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370201453.561233.jpg
The back, I've left the air compressor in still working

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370201514.407449.jpg
Compartment open with inverter inside

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370201556.749511.jpg
Inverter revealed

I cant remember the capacity of the battery, sorry. I'd have to strip it to have a look

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Looks good Gray thanks.
Capacity is the problem. I reckon I would need at least 60AH per night. Thats a heavy battery. I will look at the threads on Hammock forum and see whats there, but keep the ideas coming please.
Dave that is the exact same model I have. I go to North Staffs Respiratory Clinic, but I suspect it is a common one. It cost me £20 for the 12v lead for it!!!!
Alan

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Looks good Gray thanks.
Capacity is the problem. I reckon I would need at least 60AH per night. Thats a heavy battery. I will look at the threads on Hammock forum and see whats there, but keep the ideas coming please.
Dave that is the exact same model I have. I go to North Staffs Respiratory Clinic, but I suspect it is a common one. It cost me £20 for the 12v lead for it!!!!
Alan
borrow it and try it any time buddy

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Right I put a power meter on the CPAP last night and remember that for me the machine goes up to near full 'blow' and this was with humidifier on (set to number 2). The power meter this morning read 130WH (NOT KWH!!).
So converting that to AH at 12V = 11AH!!
A lot less then I though it would be
So say 15AH per night for a little margin, then two nights (a weekend) would be 30AH). With modern batteries, that would be possible without feeling like I am carrying a car around with me lol.
I am looking at a smaller machine that weighs only 0.4kg (instead of the 5KG of the one I have). I runs on 12v (no humidifier), does the pressure (up to 20cms H2o), BUT it will cost me half a months wages.Add a nice light Li on battery pack and you are one months wages gone.
Still it is something I will have to use for the rest of my life. If getting a set up like this means that I can have a lot more freedom, then it would be worth it.
The interesting thing with the batteries is that to have the greater capacity, you go over the amount of Li you can carry on a plane for a flight (I didn't even know there was such a spec!). So you can only carry a Li on battery that has enough power for approx 1~2 nights.
If anyone is interested, I will post links to the batteries and models of CPAP I have been looking at (CPAP is about £500, batteries are about £300).
The other thing that I didn't realise is that if you suffer from hey fever like me, then there are pollen filters you NEED to use. I don't have these and it didn't 'twig' with me that of course you are pumping a lot more air into your lungs/throat with a CPAP and it is likely to have a lot more pollen 'throughput'!!
Pollen filters on the way! lol.
Alan

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
Another possibility might be a Silent generator. I've heard (!) the Honda Suitcase ones have a good reputation but are spendy.

Most will do 240VAC or 12VDC...

Cheers
Bryan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE