Coyotes and Wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Essential to include the human factor. Does that speed up an otherwise natural conflict?
In ecology, a classic "2 species" competition only happens when some resource becomes limited.
That is, there's not enough to go around. Humans have arranged that.
The really tricky part is to figure out, accurately, what the limited factor turned out to be.
That's what ecologists bicker about the most.

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Ha! You often see coyotes in Vancouver, even downtown. I think they eat up the raccoons and cats, esp in Stanley Park. Wonder if that means the Parks Board will be getting us some wolves next? There is a new Director who has introduced some controversial policies ... you never know your luck.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I worked night shift I often saw them along the road while driving to or from work. Not so much now that I’m a day person again.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We need 2 or 3 dozen trail cameras set up to muzzle (!) all the speculation here.
There are cat tracks (cougar) in the winter snow. Have been a couple of black bears.
Might be (might be) coyotes in the village but show me the pictures.

The grizz stay out of town. Some young ones were stalking country kids at school bus stops
but that didn't last very long after the kids complained.

All the rest of the time, day and night, the village is patrolled by 2 or 3 groups of 4-5 deer each.
Flower beds and fresh new gardens are always on the menu. Ought to be wee little spotty fawns about now.
They are so habituated to cars and people that I wonder why there aren't more cougar kills in the back alleys.

Trappers tell me that there's a wolf pack running west of here near Crescent Spur.
Very efficient deer hunters. I can't imagine seeing them in town.

These are reasons why wild camping as individuals or very small groups is poorly thought out.
Big groups, big hunting camps and big dogs. Most locals go home for the night.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Locally we get two or three pictures a year (published in the paper) of black beats in town. Cougars are rarer; only one or two a year photographed statewide. Coyotes are easy. Several thousand carcasses checked in on the Eglin AFB military reservation every Fall as the hunters check out. And that’s just one small WMA.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE