Another Take On Wolves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Here's a recent article:

Germany has a serious wolf problem. It's getting so bad that some sheep are too afraid to even breed.

safe_image.php

Surrounded by a flock of 250-odd black-faced sheep near this northeastern town, Frank Neumann jams his green Trilby hat on his head before a gust of wind sends it flying, then chuckles as his 120-pound sheepdog leaps up to lick his face.

The bearlike Pyrenean mountain dog is people-friendly, but it's no pet. Before the stocky farmer obtained six of them to protect his flock, he arrived one morning to find 27 of his cherished sheep eviscerated, their guts strewn across the pasture. It was a tough way to learn that the wolf had returned to Germany.

"Officially, there weren't supposed to be any here," Neumann says. "I was pretty angry because no one had warned us."

New sightings confirm that wolves are making a rapid comeback across Europe. But the most surprising success story — together with possible related problems — is here in Germany, which lacks the infrastructure for wildlife protection despite its strong tradition of environmentalism.

"Germany as a whole is becoming affected by wolves," says World Wildlife Fund wolf expert Janosch Arnold. "Five years from now we'll have them in nearly every district."

Since the year 2000, when an infrared camera produced the first evidence of their return close to the Polish border, the number of wolf packs in Germany has mushroomed from two to more than 30.

Their comeback was initially attributed to the emptying of rural areas in what was formerly East Germany.

But with wolf packs settling amid wind-energy projects, along well-trodden nature trails and even on Berlin's doorstep, it's now clear that the European Union's tough protection laws are responsible.

http://media.theweek.com/img/generic/wolvesGP.jpg
Frank Neumann and dog. | (Jason Overdorf/GlobalPost)

In a troubling development for some farmers, wolves are proving no more prone to remaining isolated in the wilderness than America's coyotes.

Wolves have killed some 350 farm animals across Germany during the past five years. Some farmers claim fear is stopping their sheep from breeding.

In recent weeks, wolves were indirectly blamed for a bloodbath on the Autobahn after a herd of frightened horses broke from their paddock and bolted onto the highway.

As in U.S. states where wolves have made comebacks, such incidents have prompted calls from farmers and hunters for relaxing a ban on hunting the wild canines.

That's exposing a rift between the rural residents who must live with wolves and urban environmentalists who love them.

Conservationists are concerned that a serious lack of skills and funding would make the reinstatement of controlled hunting problematic.

Even in countries where wolves have always thrived, such as Finland and Norway, hunting licenses are often allotted with little understanding of population dynamics, critics say.

Germany has no agency that compares with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which has a budget of nearly $3 billion a year to implement laws like the Endangered Species Act.

Instead, the country's 16 states are left to conduct their own conservation policies. Research and monitoring is left mostly to poorly trained volunteers, says Ilka Reinhardt, one of Germany's rare wildlife biologists who helps run the wolf management bureau in Saxony, which has the Germany's largest population of wolves.

"In that regard, we're like a developing country," she says.

However, the real problem may be not the wolves themselves, but economics.

States compensate livestock owners for losses from attacks with various financial packages and incentives.

But farmers say compensation for slaughtered animals is always slow to arrive. And the funds cover only concrete items such as electric fences or sheepdogs, not the additional labor required for installation or training.

Compounding the problem, many sheep farmers make ends meet with the aid of European Union subsidies for the preservation of grassland ecosystems. They're essentially paid to graze their sheep, which means they must continually move from one pasture to another. The new threat of wolves requires them to also move their fences.

That's what bothers farmer Neumann, who despite the slaughter of his sheep remembers his lone sighting of a wolf as having filled him with exhilaration.

He's solved the problem of wolf attacks with his dogs and electric fences. But feeding his six huge flock-watchers costs him around $8,000 a year, a big chunk of the profits generated by 750 sheep.

"Many of us farmers here in Saxony are prepared to live with wolves," he says. "But it's a huge financial burden."

This article, by Jason Overdorf, originally appeared at GlobalPost.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I see the problem is city dwellers rather than wolves.

The wolves should be moved to the city, theres lots of things for them to eat there, such as all the other wildlife that now lives in urban areas. They can also eat pets and children, and push over bins.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like bears and coyotes do here? Although I haven't heard of shildren being "eaten" yet. Mostly cats and small dogs.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They have urban wolves in Spain, dont they?

Of course they would have to learn some road sense, but country roads are dangerous enough.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sadly, roadkill is one of the problems we have had with maintaining the Florida Cougar and Bear populations too. Their numbers are increasing though.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for that video dave. I'd seen it before but it's still a good one.

It's a bit misleading though. It infers that all of those changes are necessarily a good thing (granted, most of then are) However it ignores two very important aspects:

1) Beavers by their very "engineering" behavior which changes the ecosystem not only benefits many species, it also is a detriment to others. While it's a benefit to those that need larger bodies of slow or still water, it's a detriment to those that need smaller, faster flowing streams (such as Okaloosa Darter)

2) Yellowstone is a closed environment where such an experiment has a much better chance than among populated areas with farming communities.

All that said, I too hope they thrive; but there will be valid arguments for their control. Personally, I'd love to see our native Red Wolf reintroduced here. Not just for it's own sake, but also because it's return would likely displace the invasive coyote which only began to appear here as the Red Wolf disappeared.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tough one, if they're proven to be a danger to the population though then their numbers need to be thinned.

The fact that they're spreading out and taking farm animals points towards their numbers not being sustainable, so thinning them out not only protects us as humans, but also them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Beautifully crafted video. Thanks.
Other than the geothermal activity, much of that could have been filmed within 20 minutes of my house
except for the dang deer that stand on my front doorstep at night. When it's really cold, they snuggle
up to my neighbor's hot tub.
For predators, we have grizzly & black bears, cougars, Lynx and Bobcats, wolves & coyotes, foxes and mustelids
like Fisher, Marten, etc. Ranch kids have been approached by young Grizz at the country school bus stops.
A couple of cougar deer kills in the village 2 winters ago.
I don't hear much ranch talk about livestock predation, once in a while.

nettles150390

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
High Melton, Doncaster
By that logic, so did the dinosaurs. Nothing stays the same, evolution is a constant.

Humans killing wolves, isn't evolution, its extinction, and sure dinosaurs did have the right to survive but we didn't kill them, unlike the multiple numbers of other species we have killed off.

And don't get me wrong I'm all for farmers being allowed to shoot the wolf that's killing they're livestock

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We get wolf skins for the reenactors. Some from North America, but those are the ones that are shot because they've bred with domestic dogs gone feral, and there are attempts to keep the wolf/wolf, iimmc. Those come to use declawed as evidence….no idea why. Most come from Mongolia where the horse breeders are killing the wolves because they were losing half of their young foals to wolf attack every year.

Easy for urbanites to say, "Bring back the wolf, they'll remove the deer problem"…..y'know what ? get the Farmer's Union to tell us that they want the wolves back, and then listen.

Easy for Americans who have not exterminated their wolves and bears to say that it won't be a problem. We have not had free roaming wolves in the UK since 1745. We haven't had bears for even longer. In that same period our population has grown from c7,000,000 to over 64,000,000 people. That's over nine times as many people, and their animals, on the same restricted landmass.

Nice idea; whether it's a good one or not is still under debate.
M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wolves have been getting culled in the French Alps for a quite a few years, the farmers have reintroduced their protection dogs which are damn scary when you stumble across them in the mountains, biggest dogs I've ever seen.

Talking of wolves, I'm looking forward to pt2 of Gordon Buchanan and the snow wolves tonight

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE