Couple views from the trail “in my back yard”.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely views :) you can almost breath in the fresh air :)

Is there much variety among the trees ? I know photos can be deceptive but it looks almost like our pine plantations.
RV commented a while ago that where our soils are worm worked that in the north of northern America that that's not usual, that it's the mycelium that is the soil worker. Is that true for where you are ?

M

Reactions: TeeDee

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Lovely views :) you can almost breath in the fresh air :)

Is there much variety among the trees ? I know photos can be deceptive but it looks almost like our pine plantations.
RV commented a while ago that where our soils are worm worked that in the north of northern America that that's not usual, that it's the mycelium that is the soil worker. Is that true for where you are ?

M
Quite a bit of variety in trees, though many appear similar at first glance when speaking of the evergreen trees.

Cedar, Pine, Fir, Hemlock, Yew, are all fairly common and managed in this area by both private and state farms and management lands.

Poplar, Maple, Madrona, and Alder make up most of the other common trees.

Worms, burrowing insects, grubs, and fungi are common in the soils.

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Thankyou very much,might have to look for one myself.
The only thing I will add as a potential negative is that there is no space for ventilation between the bag and your back.

On the day of the hike temperatures ranged from 38-45 degrees F (3 to 7ish degrees C) I was wearing a Dri-fit t-shirt and a thin fleece jacket. In the climb up (1,050 feet over 2.5 miles) I was sweating pretty significantly on my back, where the pack was.

I may add some padding strips to create air channels for better ventilation along my back.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Your rucksack looks nice.
Which maker and model is it, please?

Which of the both bottles do you prefere and why? I want to buy one and ask myself if it's worth the effort to search for a US GI canteen. The Nalgene I can get everywhere.
I have already the GI canteen but I cleaned it with the wrong detergent and can't get rid of the bad taste of it.
I think the guy who gave it to me got confused and gave me floor soap instead of dish detergent. Now my water tastes pretty strange...

SSGN_Doc

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2021
WA, USA
Your rucksack looks nice.
Which maker and model is it, please?

Which of the both bottles do you prefere and why? I want to buy one and ask myself if it's worth the effort to search for a US GI canteen. The Nalgene I can get everywhere.
I have already the GI canteen but I cleaned it with the wrong detergent and can't get rid of the bad taste of it.
I think the guy who gave it to me got confused and gave me floor soap instead of dish detergent. Now my water tastes pretty strange...

The rucksack is a British, Northern Ireland Patrol Bag (about 30 liters of main bag capacity).

I only have sentimental attachment to the GI canteen (That was actually the first one I was issued for my first deployment. I bought a replacement canteen, cup and stand to turn back in, just so I could keep mine as a memento from my first deployment.) The Nalgene ticks all the same boxes for practicality, capacity, and compatibility with the cups and covers, etc. Also being transparent, you have a better indication of cleanliness and where you are at on water use.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Washington is no flatter than British Columbia! Spectacular corner of the world.
Thanks for a good look around your place. I'm at 50N x 120W in the Pac slope of the Rockies. Looks so much alike. Interior Cedar Hemlock.

The forest all looks the same since even-aged stands come up after fires or that they are planted. It's a fiber crop.

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE