Country skills question...Number 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay....here is another weird one.....

What am I producing here? ...and why is it done this way?

IMG_7625 by British Red, on Flickr

...and for extra credit.....what dangerous product used to be made from a byproduct of operation?

Red

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I hang herbs like that over paper to catch the seed. It allows the plant to release the seeds naturally when each one is mature. I think lol :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Don't the heads dry out and the seeds drop from the head like a salt shaker. You can then pop em on yer bread.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty close chisseler :)

The reason poppies have to be dried that way up to capture seeds is that, in the wild, the seed head opens at the top only - creating small holes under the flower "scar" at the top. Once seed is released, the wind blows the lighter seed pod around and the seed is "flicked" out of these holes travelling a long way. If you dry them "right way up", the seed just sits in the pod.

Years ago, the pods and stems formed a product called "poppy straw" - poppy straw was used to make "laudenam" - an opiate painkiller which caused addiction in many a poet! Dodgy stuff by all accounts

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yours are well on :) I've only started gathering mine..........I hang them upside down with a paper poke tied around the heads. I pin the bag to the noticeboard above the kitchen radiator.
By the end of summer it's the weirdest looking mix of drying herbs and seeds :)

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bin a weird old Summer. Some things have done well....hay harvest is a record. Other stuff is very early (alliums) others....useless. Carrots are a nightmare!

Peas are doing well, first harvest is processed, second is in pod and I am going for a third crop which is already up and growing

Capsicums are a wash out with no sun :(

Diversity in crops seems to be th ekey these days

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I gave up on the veg in mid-June. Even my 'blight resistant' sarpo spuds got blighted. We did have12" of rain in June. Rhubarb and strawbs are the only successful crops.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its a mad year for slugs isn't it? Even our nesting thrushes can't keep up :(

We love the thrushes so slug pellets are out (other than occasional use inside closed greenhouses). Nemaotodes are good - but hellish pricey

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Its a mad year for slugs isn't it? Even our nesting thrushes can't keep up :(

We love the thrushes so slug pellets are out (other than occasional use inside closed greenhouses). Nemaotodes are good - but hellish pricey

You can 'homebrew' your own nematodes - never tried it but it involves lots of slugs and a bucket of water. Heard about it on GQT.
I let my runner ducks into the veg patch in the end, they had a field day!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE