Country innovations kestrel ventile smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Hi guys,

I recently got hold of one of these from someone as an unwanted gift (?!). I have
Been testing it out as I have never tried ventile before. I have given it a wash with nixwax cotton proofer and so far I very impressed.

I am of the understanding they are about £260 which on the face of it seems extreme for a pullover smock with 2 pockets. One main "tube" pocket zipped at each end on the belly and a map pocket (kangaroo style). Both have storm baffles and zips.

The hood has no wire frame and is generously sized. The zip to open it from the front is gusseted which stops the wind getting in whilst giving more breathing room.

The whole thing is single skinned however, it is lined with a typical "jacket liner" if you will, this is polyester. I wore it today with a light fleece in rather
Driving rain (jeans were soaked to the bone!)

I wasn't expecting rain but once I got home with the dogs I had a feel inside the smock, bone dry. Not what I was expecting considering it looked sodden!

As was expected it stiffened up but not to badly, it will replace my cheap smock and
Hopefuly last years to come.

I was going to buy a braemar wind shirt, but not now. Top marks from country innovation.

1 question, can I dye it again once it fades? I'm told they fade fast.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
yes you can dye it. ive done a couple of smocks....ive just stripped the dye from one aswell.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Do not bother re-dying they look better with age (like denims do :))
Welcome to the ranks of those who "get" Ventile :)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
youll like mine then John ....
06dedc2add54547d3a4431f4700b71cf.jpg

de348bbba4d7e8d1520916fa0017bae0.jpg

50f4cd7166e7a6f72cd6bdfeae626fa4.jpg

it looks waxy but thats just the camera.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i really wouldn't bother with the cotton proofing. Ventile is naturally designed to be waterproof, the fibres expand when wet and any coating can inhibit this function. but i'm sure Mr Fenna, Ventile guru, will correct me, Lol.
But a lovely smock, have the jacket version and love it.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
It also has a lovely "quallity" ? Feel to it. It's nice not rustling like my gortex jacket. Ah I see, so no proofing in future? Figured that's what cotton proofer would be good for. Typical.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I give mine the occasional go with cotton proof - the Grangers version recommended by Ventile by Ventile :)
It helps just bead water on the surface in light rain - but in heavy downpours the cotton proof is overwhelmed and the physical properties of Ventile really come into play :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
youll like mine then John ....
06dedc2add54547d3a4431f4700b71cf.jpg

de348bbba4d7e8d1520916fa0017bae0.jpg

50f4cd7166e7a6f72cd6bdfeae626fa4.jpg

it looks waxy but thats just the camera.

Hmmm - yes!
Double Ventile Antarctic ... I only have the Single...but 2 of them :) One old battered and with the odd tear - one brand new and ready to take the old ones place !
It looks better in patchy green than it did in red :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE