Counted the tree species on my land...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've read that Italian alder doesn't coppice well, unlike common alder - is there a benefit in planting it?

Not that I'm aware of, other than it looks nice and adds another bit of diversity. I think it is mainly used as a tree that can be planted where other stuff would probably die, especially where soil stabilisation is an issue or you want to 'green' an industrial site quickly. I don't know about the coppicing issue. You Will have looked stuff like that up, and know far more than me.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I know a small amount about trees but I'm learning. I'll never have your knowledge of insects/arachnids, though.

Our soil is pretty fertile & deep so don't need the benefits of Italian alder, aside from diversity.

Found a decent sized sweet chestnut that I didn't know we had, also think we've got some cherry laurel which will bring the species list up :)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Don't forget native conifers. Scots pine and yew both have their place. I don't think you have the right soil for juniper.

Think about evergreens in general if you are willing to plant anything. They add a bit of winter colour, and give wildlife some shelter all year round. They don't have to be conifers either. Holly, box, eucalyptus, holm oak, cherry laurel etc. If you do like conifers there is a huge selection, including living fossils like ginko (not evergreen but pretty and will grow anywhere), monkey puzzle, and the world's newest living fossil the Wollemi pine. Cedars smell nice too.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
We've got Scots pine, yew, bay, laurel, holly (lots of it), eucalyptus. Thinking about larch, even though it's not evergreen.

There's plenty of gorse around and the woods next door are full of rhododendron. Not keen on monkey puzzle as it's so prickly and would take years to fruit but will consider some of the others.

Going to be planting some bamboo around and that keeps its leaves year round. Hoping to get a giant variety going

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Let me see. Plum, Cherry, Apple, Willow, Hazel, Hawthorn, Rowan, Birch, Yew, Spruce, Leylandii.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
On my patch: Alder, Ash, Oak, Hazel, Blackthorn, Hawthorn, Elder, Rowan, Beech (plain and bronze), Goat Willow, Bird Cherry, Cherry, Downy Birch, Silver Leaf Maple, Scots Pine, Noble Fir, Cypress, Small and Large Leaf Lime, Field Maple, Norway Spruce, Holly, Pear (wild and domestic), Crab Apple, Damson, Plum, Gage, Domestic Apple, Sumac, Various coloured basketry willows, Whitebeam (probably), Poplar, Gorse, Guelder Rose, Walnut, Hornbeam, Quince, Bay and one or two still to be identified!

We also have half a dozen different bamboos that may go in and a few other trees like stone pines - aiming to increase and diversify the edibles.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Would love some coloured willow cuttings in the Winter if you have any to spare. Trying to grow some yellow stuff but it's not really thriving at the moment

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good post and a really enjoyable BLOG - one of the few I've read totally as they're usually not my thing. Interesting and informative. Interested in seeing how it all progresses and evolves over time.

Cheers for posting up.

GB.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, everyone, feel a bit guilty I haven't done more updates now. Hoping to fill in the backstory this week.

Got a massive amount of permaculture/forest gardening stuff to read - it's a bit mind boggling and I'm not really sure where to start. Mulching probably...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Inspired by this I thought I would do a bit of a count of what I have in my garden.

In terms of trees, planted in the soil, I have the following:

• Malus Domestica - Apple (x5)
  • Ilex Aquifolium - Holly. Just the one of these, it's self seeded behind the raspberry patch.

My garden is small (8m x 3m usable area), and it's a flat, so the rest of my trees are in containers, so that I can move them on in future if I wish. In my containers I have:

• Quercus Robar - Oak
  • Corylus avellana - Hazel
  • Malus Domestica - Apple (x7)
  • Unknown pine tree - This I picked up for 3 euros in a Dutch garden centre, it was less than a foot tall when I got it, it's still under 2 foot, 5 years later

That's it for tree's in my patch.

If you have a large patch, and want to grow some extra species. Can I put in a small vote for Common Box (Buxus sempervirens), it's nowhere near common enough, but it's wood is beautiful and very hard, ideal for knife handles and the like. Spindle would be another one to add for it's utility.

Julia

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I think my wife wanted a box hedge so might well be planting some in the Winter

Note, to get usable wood, you need to let it grow as a tree, rather than pruning it into a hedge. Just put it in a clearing somewhere and leave to grow for a few decades...

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE