Cotton overshirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey guys,

1st of May and all that, the sun is shining and I am anticipating warmer weather. I'm looking at my layering system right now and I think I want to try a cotton overshirt to layer over my PCS smock for around camp, for when carrying wood, or sitting near the fire.

I like my MOD smock, but it's a bit heavy, I don't need a hood or so many pockets, or a double layered chest. Don't a huge fan of camo either.

Can anyone recommend a cheap as chips and lightweight cotton surplus shirt?, or offer an opinion on the Czech M92 or Swedish M59 shirts, both of which look good.

Thanks guys :cool:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Anything that would rip the smock would probably rip right through a shirt. The issue smock is a durable bit of kit so i wouldn't worry too much, if it tears get it fixed or just get one of the old desert smocks for next to nothing.

Cut the arm Velcro off if you don't need it, that'll probably make it a bit better for you. The inch or so of material holding the wire to the hood could probably go too.

Tonyuk

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I may butcher the smock to be used in this capacity but for the time being I impulse bought a US M51 wool shirt which, if it fits, should hopefully do the trick. Still tempted by these Swedish M59 shirts tho!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've looked at the Czech M92 shirts before myself. I'd be interested in any reports

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Yeah I couldn't find much anecdotal information on them through google, no reviews or anything. I suppose at that price it's not much risk eh!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Still tempted by these Swedish M59 shirts tho!

Good shirts, the M59's. I've seen a few (got a good handful ;) ) and am pretty certain that some are cotton whist others seem to be a poly-cotton. Janne mentioned elsewhere that officers got a slightly different deal with the M59 kit ~ which could easily account for this difference in look and feel :dunno: In my opinion and for what I use them for, both types are good, hard wearing kit ~ which don't pong too much after a couple of days wear* :D

* with a daily wet wipe wash.

If you like the proper vintage look, perhaps look at the M59's predecessor, the M39 might be up your alley? But it's not really an over-shirt ;)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I've looked at the Czech M92 shirts before myself. I'd be interested in any reports

I took the plunge after reading this thread and ordered three Czech M92 shirts as I was looking for a cheap, hardwearing shirt for everyday wear (I was a bit peed off after burning a hole in a cheap fleece pullover with sparks from an angle grinder the other day) and just want something that is washable and a bit more spark resistant and at £3.99 each not the end of the world if it gets torn, stained or burnt.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/czech-m92-bushcraft-field-shirt.html

I called MM first to check the sizes - I'm about a 42-44" chest and ordered the XL.

Arrived today.

Condition described as "super grade" but mine were clearly unissued.

Fit is spot on as a shirt - you'd need to go up a size to wear as a smock.

Colour is what I would describe as khaki.

Fabric is medium weight - not sure whether cotton or polycotton - washing label says 60 degrees C.

Single button and loop at neck, a single breast pocket which would fit a packet of fags but not much more and has no fastening. Above the pocket is a loop for rank badge?

IMHO not as good as the Swedish M59 but these are getting harder to find in decent condition and not the kind of thing to wear down the disco but perfect for what I want it for and the only real criticism is that the sleeve cuffs are elasticated rather than buttoned and although I don't have forearms like Popeye, rolling the sleeves up to the elbows is a bit of a struggle. This could easily be sorted if it bothers you.

Who knows, if Ray or Paul or one of the other leaders of bushcraft fashion is spotted wearing one, they could be this summer's must have bushy shirt? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE