Cotswolds Outdoor email about lightweight kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Got an email today regarding lightweight camping kit, quite interesting.

MainImg.jpg

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/inde...fCjC2zF5zbTEjmbF5kwCjCkbTtfcwbTtfCjC4zbEGFzTw

Last edited:

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I like Cotswold, sometimes visit their flagship store just outside cirencester - although often full of the best kit around I often find stuff I want there but able to source it cheaper elsewhere. For me a shop for browsing rather than spending

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Very good selection of gear from good suppliers. Expensive though. It doesn't have to be. Here is a guide to a base weight of 5 1/2 lbs for overnighting in reasonable weather (that's wo and a bit kilos for the imperially challenged:) ). Just add food and water! Some very good ideas. Note that the total cost of the main items of this set - shelter, sleep system, cook kit, and carry bag, come to less than $20. There are 4 parts to this guide, I recommend any bushcrafter, hiker look at them, because the ideas presented are, as Mastercard tell us - "priceless" (as is most of the recycled kit).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBRIuP73Ew&feature=plcp

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
It's a good set up. Of course, the actual base weight will end up being higher. Most people will add water bottles, first aid kit, clothing, knife, flashlight, etc. Still, a very good starting spot.

exactly, even if its more based on a summer setup, its still a good place to start

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Nearly a grand for all this stuff:yikes: and its not that light ,you would have to be crazy to buy this stuff ,there is far better and lighter kit out there

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think they've forgotten to pack half their kit like Ross said.

Some decent gear in there though, the Laser is a great wee tent but you need to swap the pegs out which takes it back over the magical 1kg mark.

davetreadwell

Jan 7, 2014
Swindon
I like Cotswold, sometimes visit their flagship store just outside cirencester - although often full of the best kit around I often find stuff I want there but able to source it cheaper elsewhere. For me a shop for browsing rather than spending

****Disclaimer - I am the Local Marketing Representative for Cotswold South Cerney****

I stumbled across this forum topic on Pinterest - you make a very valid point regarding the pricing at Cotswold - I just wished to point out we do advertise quite prominently within our stores a Like for Like price match policy.

Essentially if the product is identical in every way (size/colour/season/model etc), in stock, and cheaper elsewhere (including online retails - just take any postage costs into consideration), we will match that price on the spot, assuming we can confirm these detail.

That said we also have a retrospective matching policy, where within 7 days of purchasing an item, we will refund the difference if you have found it cheaper elsewhere - Guaranteeing you the cheapest price in the UK for that product for a while week!

I hope this clarifies matters regarding our pricing, and I look forward to seeing in the store in the near future.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
It would be in Cotswolds interest to stay in touch, when you consider how many members of BCUK there are (30,500+ people) and everyday the traffic must be huge through here.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Doesn't that annoy you that someone joins a forum just to post one comment?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, I appreciate the clarification. Of course, forum members already get 15% off at Cotswold. I go to the one in Watford and they are always really helpful without being all in my face. It's a nice way to shop and i'm glad to still see actual outdoors shops that have decent gear I can fondle before I buy.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
See Kephart Camping and Woodcraft for a proper lightweight camping kit available more than a hundred years ago.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
Nope, I appreciate the clarification. Of course, forum members already get 15% off at Cotswold. I go to the one in Watford and they are always really helpful without being all in my face. It's a nice way to shop and i'm glad to still see actual outdoors shops that have decent gear I can fondle before I buy.

I agree, its good that they can be represented and then we can make up OUR own minds.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I love lightweight kit, but as already pointed out this stuff is expensive. The marketing is exactly right- very eye and interest catching; hopefully enough to draw a buyer in.

My "lightweight" kit with food and water for 3 days is around 12kg, but for instance my rucksack cost £25, burner £15, sleeping bag £30, tent £75 (£150 elsewhere) etc. It's light(ish) but the 65ltr rucksack it is carried in (a frameless SD Karrimor) is usually jam packed. Throw money at the problem and you could easily get the same kit in a 46ltr bag.

Whilst I might be a tight wad realist, it doesn't stop me from being jealous!

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
What I'm trying to say is you create an account just to say one thing. That just clogs up the system with inactive users. Not being funny but if I was a rep for them id absolutely take advantage of a site like this and push some deals through not just say one comment and then leave. The internet is the best place to make money in a selective market surly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

I like cotswold, but I like any shop that gives you the oppourtunity to see things, even if it costs a bit more. And no I buy from the shop rather than going home and ordering off the internet. They already give 15% off that should knock the internet out anyway. And to defend the company to 30,000+ members and everyone else ontop, as someone mentioned is only fair, they are already associated with the site. I like to buy the original inventors stuff too as it guards the R+D department, rather than rip offs that never develop anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE