Cotswolds Outdoor email about lightweight kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
A deal is a deal though do I wouldn't not buy something because it was from somewhere like mountain warehouse or a wholesaler down the road. Just seems weird that people think it's cool to create an account and put one message on and potentially add to clogging up the server. Why not just become a member and use the site to its full extent? Because I I was a rep for a company I would do exactly that?! I'm not having a pop at the company just the single user! Seems a little daft to me. So before I get messages saying I'm anti conglomerate larger companies I bought my shopping from tescos yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A deal is a deal though do I wouldn't not buy something because it was from somewhere like mountain warehouse or a wholesaler down the road. Just seems weird that people think it's cool to create an account and put one message on and potentially add to clogging up the server. Why not just become a member and use the site to its full extent? Because I I was a rep for a company I would do exactly that?! I'm not having a pop at the company just the single user! Seems a little daft to me. So before I get messages saying I'm anti conglomerate larger companies I bought my shopping from tescos yesterday!

I don't think that his account is going to clog up the server. :) Just had a look and there are 1543 members with only one post! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/memberlist.php?page=85&pp=30&order=asc&sort=posts

Also, I didn't see anything prior to your last few posts to suggest that you were anti-big companies but you do seem to be having an odd pop at him that didn't seem to make sense.

I would rather 1 valuable post than 100 posts of rubbish..... :)
I think the saying is 'the wise man speaks when he has something to say, the fool speaks when he has to say something.'

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I don't think that his account is going to clog up the server. :) Just had a look and there are 1543 members with only one post! http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/memberlist.php?page=85&pp=30&order=asc&sort=posts

Also, I didn't see anything prior to your last few posts to suggest that you were anti-big companies but you do seem to be having an odd pop at him that didn't seem to make sense.

I would rather 1 valuable post than 100 posts of rubbish..... :)
I think the saying is 'the wise man speaks when he has something to say, the fool speaks when he has to say something.'

there are 6769 memberd out of 30,000+ with 10 or less posts, some with avatars even right the way down, and some are full members.

www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/memberlist.php?page=226&pp=30&order=asc&sort=posts

I've made 900 posts in a year, or about 2.5 a day !

Edit.

Eg

www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/member.php?u=29318

Or

www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/member.php?u=11377

joined 2008, full member, last activity 2014

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Generally here small outfits make something... i'm all for cottage industry and will readily support it.

However, if someone is just box shifting, they need to compete with all the other box shifters around. Cotswold hire people to work in their shops who are every bit as real as smaller outfits and I respect that those people like helping me in person and like keeping their jobs.

Nobody thinks you are fool for voicing your opinion. You are fantastic.

http://www.dilbert.com/2014-01-03/

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Generally here small outfits make something... i'm all for cottage industry and will readily support it.

However, if someone is just box shifting, they need to compete with all the other box shifters around. Cotswold hire people to work in their shops who are every bit as real as smaller outfits and I respect that those people like helping me in person and like keeping their jobs.

Nobody thinks you are fool for voicing your opinion. You are fantastic.

http://www.dilbert.com/2014-01-03/

Yea I didn't think anybody thought I was stupid I was just thinking the comment of a fool was a tad rude. But hey ho! Some people out people down to make them self look awesome! That's life. I have nothing to hide. I'm content with my life. :D

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yea I didn't think anybody thought I was stupid I was just thinking the comment of a fool was a tad rude. But hey ho! Some people out people down to make them self look awesome! That's life. I have nothing to hide. I'm content with my life. :D

I wasn't calling you a fool. :p If anything it applies to all of us that post lots. :D I was talking about the Cotswolds bloke who said one thing.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use Cotswold HQ in South Cerney a lot and I am very happy with the service. They have knowledgeable staff (of a wide age range - pretty important this!) and I have never felt someone was trying to sell me something I didn't want or wasn't appropriate. Bought a pair of boots recently and the fitting service and advice were great. And it took a long time yet there was no sign of impatience and wanting to shift stock quickly rather than satisfy a customer. OK - I get a DofE leader's discount which helps a lot but even without this I still find them cheaper than places like Ellis Brigham and Snow and Rock.

No connection - satisfied customer.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I hate price match with a passion! Why not just give people your best price straight away? Is it on the off chance you can screw someone over?

Kwik fit do this with tyres... I phoned for a price for a set of four Bridgestones once upon a yesteryear and was given a price of £613 by Kiwk Fit. After phoning around a few other places I found Bracknell Tyre and Battery who gave me a price of £450 for exactly the same tyres in the same sizes. After I'd had them fitted at BTB I phoned Kwik Fit back to let them know I'd found them nearly £200 cheaper elsewhere and the sales muppet on the phone replied "We can match that!" My response of "Too late mate, I gave my business to the company with the best price!" didn't go down very well. BTB was a local small business too, far better to use them than some faceless corporate chain.

</rant>

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I hate price match with a passion! Why not just give people your best price straight away? Is it on the off chance you can screw someone over?

Kwik fit do this with tyres... I phoned for a price for a set of four Bridgestones once upon a yesteryear and was given a price of £613 by Kiwk Fit. After phoning around a few other places I found Bracknell Tyre and Battery who gave me a price of £450 for exactly the same tyres in the same sizes. After I'd had them fitted at BTB I phoned Kwik Fit back to let them know I'd found them nearly £200 cheaper elsewhere and the sales muppet on the phone replied "We can match that!" My response of "Too late mate, I gave my business to the company with the best price!" didn't go down very well. BTB was a local small business too, far better to use them than some faceless corporate chain.

</rant>

Got in one!! Haha!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I bought a down sleeping bag from Cotswold in fort willliams using the fm discount, I wasn't happy with the quality (robens).
Returned it and ordered another one on-line made by RAB, this one was too cold.
Swapped it for a warmer one in Manchester using the price match even though the deal was few quid short in my fawour.
All this winging and testing with a ton of advice from the staff and without me feeling like a total ahole.

The best outdoor shop for me at the moment (just ahead of gooutdoor) and I will fight for them with all my heart. If someone want to moan about the prices just walk in to ellisbrigham. RRP all year long without a shade of a sale or discount (they have a pound or two off here and there but it's nothing compared to blacks, millets, cotswold etc).

Thank you for making an effort to give us info on HOW TO SAVE MONEY in your store.
And if you give us info on sales and promotions like someone suggested, probably get ready for complaints from the same person about spamming the forum with adwertaising...

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
I bought a down sleeping bag from Cotswold in fort willliams using the fm discount, I wasn't happy with the quality (robens).
Returned it and ordered another one on-line made by RAB, this one was too cold.
Swapped it for a warmer one in Manchester using the price match even though the deal was few quid short in my fawour.
All this winging and testing with a ton of advice from the staff and without me feeling like a total ahole.

The best outdoor shop for me at the moment (just ahead of gooutdoor) and I will fight for them with all my heart. If someone want to moan about the prices just walk in to ellisbrigham. RRP all year long without a shade of a sale or discount (they have a pound or two off here and there but it's nothing compared to blacks, millets, cotswold etc).

Thank you for making an effort to give us info on HOW TO SAVE MONEY in your store.
And if you give us info on sales and promotions like someone suggested, probably get ready for complaints from the same person about spamming the forum with adwertaising...

I thinks it's a good idea about pointing us to good deals then we wouldn't be buying shed loads of items just for one purpose. When there's a deal to be had why not tell people! I was in aldi the other day and I bought some fairly alright thermals for bashing around the woods in this country. Only knew about then because someone mentioned them on here! Don't like sounding like a wum but there's truth in what I'm saying I'm sure of it! Not everyone will appreciate it but at least there's knowledge spread and people don't go hunting items down and wasting time and energy for a good deal.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Most retailers mark up 100%. But not sypermarkets, look what they have done to dairy farms etc. Think about Anchor butter, still competitive after been shipped round the world from NZ.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Most retailers mark up 100%. But not sypermarkets, look what they have done to dairy farms etc. Think about Anchor butter, still competitive after been shipped round the world from NZ.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

yup. All shops seem to go by similar prices. I like shops over the internet as you cam pick things up, and wouldn't want to cheat them by ordering off the internet. I also like shops that bother to open in remote, or not that profitable places, unlike some large chains. You'll never find a go outdoors opening on your local highstreet, unlike some other shops, or paying town centre rents like field and treck(stratford) some large chains just will not bother.

Pretty brave sticking your head above the parapet on a forum - so hats off to the Cotswold rep... Also I was pretty chuffed with a purchase from there before Christmas... I had been looking for a replacement to my Mini-Maglite and had bought my student son an LED Lenser P3 as part of a fun survival kit when he went to Uni for the first time... I secretly wanted one!! :(

So I walk into Cotswold and they are doing the LED Lenser P5 for £16... half price deal! Scooped a deal and they are still running it! http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/led-lenser-p5e-professional-aa-torch-ac110117?id_colour=124

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Very good selection of gear from good suppliers. Expensive though. It doesn't have to be. Here is a guide to a base weight of 5 1/2 lbs for overnighting in reasonable weather (that's wo and a bit kilos for the imperially challenged:) ). Just add food and water! Some very good ideas. Note that the total cost of the main items of this set - shelter, sleep system, cook kit, and carry bag, come to less than $20. There are 4 parts to this guide, I recommend any bushcrafter, hiker look at them, because the ideas presented are, as Mastercard tell us - "priceless" (as is most of the recycled kit).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiBRIuP73Ew&feature=plcp

Bliney 6 minutes in and he's still not unpacking the bag....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE