Corsican shepherd's knife

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have been looking back at French regional knives lately. I have been particularly drawn towards the Corsican Shepherd's knife, as being an attractive design. Those knives were simple "deux clous" (two nails) models, ie, the pivot and one pin. Made using goats' horn for the handle, steel pins, and forged blade

A little background, I have translated from the french:

Often made by the users themselves, the old Corsican knives were primarily designed as tools for work every day.

They are called - incorrectly today - shepherd's knives. But the shepherds were not the only users, far from it. These knives were put to many other uses: "stoccu", whose shape varied from valley to valley (from very small to large knives), used to bleed livestock or big game for field work, used a sickle Folding ("insitaghjola", literally "grafting", also called "runchetta" in the south), strongly curved blades were used for basket-makers ... Others knives had a very rounded tip for carving spoons and other wooden utensils for the kitchen. The "tarabisco" on the back of some blades were used to debark, burn or carve wood. (Not sure of the translation of this Corsican word, it seems to be refering to coarse serrations on the back of some blades)

Most of these knives have common characteristics: a deep, broad blade, which can take repeated sharpening on the grindstone and repeated passages on "limaghjola" (grinding stone), and can have a long useful life.

Long before the industrial era, each village (in Corsica) had several blacksmiths. This explains why today we find across regions, substantial differences in the forms and even in their names.

Nevertheless, similarities exist: all of these blades cannot deny the influences of the Saracens, Moors, Iberian and Italian people that have shaped Corsica during its history.

Even if some "tools" have sometimes been used to drain a quarrel, they were not intended to be used as weapons. For that, there were other knives with a sharp blade that was worn under the jacket, slipped into the waist ...

Throughout its history, the Corsican Nation has seen bloody battles and violence such that, despite the appearance of firearms - and because of their prohibition by the occupant genoa - a robust "stilettu" has long guaranteed the survival of its owner ...

That translation is a bit rough, but gives the jist of it.

Unfortunately, I haven't got any goats horns so have used some Olive wood to make the handle on mine!

I am really pleased with it, I am planning further tweaking on this one, and another one with a simple lock blade.

Meanwhile a few pics.

DSCF5036.jpg

DSCF5035.jpg

DSCF5034.jpg

DSCF5033.jpg

Hopefuly this will prove interesting to some people.

Last edited:

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
well may i?
tarabiscot is not a corsican word but a french one!
it a sort of plane or spokeshave to ornate wood making even grooves!
it has an adjective wich is tarabiscoté wich means fussy,overonated,or for a story:convoluted.

and your knife is beautifull!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
well may i?
tarabiscot is not a corsican word but a french one!
it a sort of plane or spokeshave to ornate wood making even grooves!
it has an adjective wich is tarabiscoté wich means fussy,overonated,or for a story:convoluted.

and your knife is beautifull!

Blimey, guv... J'ai evidemment oublie mon francais..:rolleyes::D

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its a fine job in design and finish. Very easy on the eye and it seems friendly, completely at the other end of a UKPK.
So what does it cut like with that handle shape? chest cuts and the usual whittle this, open this, cut that etc?

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Lovely piece of kit there - looks like a grown up Svord Peasant (and I mean this in the nicest possible way - I like my Peasant, and I'd be delighted to own this).

Cheers

Last edited:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Its a fine job in design and finish. Very easy on the eye and it seems friendly, completely at the other end of a UKPK.
So what does it cut like with that handle shape? chest cuts and the usual whittle this, open this, cut that etc?

Honestly, I don't know yet, as I just finished it tonight. I'll have to have a bit of a play with it and see. The shape of the handle feels odd, it's quite a curse. It follows somewhat the curves of a goat's horn. I think this one feels slightly too small for my hand, but then I have large hands...Also, it's quite smooth, it's probably fair to say the goat's horn handles would be rougher. Also, the tougher horn and riveted steel pivot would make for a stiffer friction on the blade, which I think I would prefer.. This being the first one of the style I have made, I'll be making some more because, not only does it look attractive, the pedigree of these knives was simple, tough, hard working tools, something I think would be very suitable for bushcraft.

Anyone here who has goat's horns?? If I can't get goat horn to play with, I'll get some ram's horn!

Oh, and I forgot to give the dimensions:

8" from the tip of the blade to the end of the handle, in a straight line. Cutting edge is 4" long and the width of the blade is 1 1/8" , 3mm thick, so quite a big folder.

Last edited:

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Seriously man, that is just beautiful!
I love the simplicity and the gorgeous wood. If you fancy making a UK legal one I would be happy to have one in my collection.
Just stunning!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE