Coolbox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Jasper at Strikforce had these at the Wilderness Gathering last year, un issued with all the gubbins and ladle, I think I paid £15, might be worth giving them a shout.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I've got an Engel 45 litre fridge, brilliant, it hardly uses any power, 12v or mains and you can freeze stuff, down to -18 or thereabouts. Not cheap but reliable, and well built, used a lot in expedition vehicles.
I wanted something for car camping and travelling and after seeing friends with their 12v car cool boxes with crap performance and battery drain I decided that wasn't the way to go. It's also gets used in the house during christmas as a wine/beer cooler and an extra seat, when the power went out over the winter we just put the freezer food in the Engel and ran it on 12v.

I think this is the uk site if anyone's interested.

http://www.engelfridges.co.uk/

The Norgi boxes are good, used them for years but I have found, reallistically, in the summer it can be hard to keep anything refrigerated for long periods without power or constant cold water.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've got an Engel 45 litre fridge, brilliant,

They are supposed to be fantastic. I would love one, but a bit too spendy for me at the moment.

The difference between the Engel's and other electric coolers, is that the Engel's run on a compressor like a regular fridge, while the Halfrauds type use a Peltier device or thermo electric cooler (TEC) - a clever little device which does make things cold, but is very weak and really isn't much more than a "helper". If it's got a compressor in it like an Engel, it'll no doubt work just as well as a normal fridge, but it'll be a lot more expensive too.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i picked up one of the norwegian boxes today, about not as good as the mint one martyn posted, but no where near as used as the other ebay one he posted. i got one complete with both liners, lids, ladle, boh lifters and all the taps working etc for £30 inc UPS next day delivery, thought that was a reasonable price as the liner sets go for a tenner by themselves on ebay, and boxes a fifteen quid upwards for (ab)used ones on the bay, and 25+ wuid from surplus shops and UPS is around a tenner plus so i thought i did ok.

washing up liquid and milton and its come up like new, even the seals are white/grey again. It had a label stuck on the side which said 'squash only' so it wasnt heavily stained.

quite pleased, gonna fill it with ice and beers at the weekend and test it lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to admit I'm tempted but......Son1 gave me a used only once when he flitted, huge great Thermos cool box. He said it kept the contents of their freezer frozen for three days while the new flat had the electricity etc., connected. It's got to be better than I managed last time so I thought I'd give it a try before I buy any other one.

Thanks for all the information though, at least I know what I do want if this one doesn't work out.

cheers,
M

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One trick I've used is to store things inside waterproof containers, wrapping them in a wet towel/rags and suspending them in the shade (I have a jute sack that is lined with an old towel, and a bunch of rags. As long as one actually keep it wet, and preferably if there is a bit of wind, things will stay surprisingly cool (judging by the consistancy of the butter around 10-12 C in the summer is achievable).

For a high tech solution the good cool boxes and dry ice is the way to go. Does tofu freeze well?

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Here is an explanation of how adding salt to water cools it down.

Apparently rock salt and water mixtures can get very cold.

So take all your stuff you want to freeze, put it in zip loc bags and push out the air as it's a thermal insulator. Buy a PLASTIC container (something non-thermally conductive) and place the bags in the salt+water solution. You'll need to add more salt+fresh water as the water gets saturated with salt, to keep the reaction going.

The only problem is disposing of the salt water, I'd suggest onto fires to put them out myself.

I'm also not sure of quantities, but some pre-moot experiments will sort that out for you.

Dave

Just had another gander, it appears that to get below zero celsius you need to have ice to start with... Sorry.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds pretty much like our bucket and wet towel evaporation to keep things cool. Hadn't thought of doing it that way though :cool:

Tofu does freeze well, though it changes its texture and becomes firmer and more chewy.

I normally make mine from scratch but I didn't fancy doing that down at the Moot.

cheers,
M

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've had a norgie flask keep stuff frozen in the jordanian desert in summer.
good pieces of kit.
(I was in the RAF, we needed ice for our gin and tonic ;))

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Been toying with the salt idea for a while. I'm not sure, but if ice was bought at a supermarket and set up with the water and salt crystals and properly insulated, I wonder if one might get by on one bag a day... Someone needs to do some experimenting, but I don't have a coolbox or the space. Anyone up for it?

Dave

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=6297-721&categoryid=8581&brand=

Take a look at the Coleman coolers. Any one that can keep ice for 6 days and hold 129 cans sounds good to me.

Tofu? If you're a veggie isn't there something better than tofu to eat? Never could keep it down. Remember a meal cooked for me by a Japanese lass where she served a tofu based dish. I was ok until I got to the tofu dish. Gagging on tofu is not a good look and it does kind of offend even if it was an involutary response to tofu.

I have found a nice cool mountain stream with whatever I want to keep cool inside a bag then fixed in the water works well for a bit. There's a campsite in Buttermere with a stream runing around it and you can just walk along the stream in summer collecting beer cooling in it. Of course you then have to move somewhere else to get away with your foraging. Not nice with a bunch of Geordies trying to get their booze back.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I got a Norwegian coolbox / food container after reading through this thread and have to say it is fantastic. Much better than other coolboxes we have used in the past. The bacon and chicken were still chilled to the touch all weekend despite being outside in the Lakes last weekend in hot sun (shaded partly by the car).
An excellent bit of kit. £14.99 on ebay

Snozz

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Food? Food in this weather? Are you insane? :lmao:

cider.jpg

20, yes; 20 ice cold Ammo tins ready for the pin to be pulled:1244:

Roll on tomorrow :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE