cooking pheasant on/with a campfire?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Hi there, I am going camping tonight and wondered if any of you guys and gals have experience in cooking a pheasant on a campfire. I eat it all through the winter from shooting and that, and know that if done incorrectly can be extremely dry after cooking.

Any tips or methods that you prefer? I was thinking of making a rotisserie and cooking over hot embers, but my thoughts are this will make it very dry...

Thanks

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
It's a tough old bird at the best of times - what about a casserole - very slow cooked in a dutch oven?
Well I usually get good results in the oven as long as you keep them covered and in about an inch of water. I don't have a dutch oven, but might improvise with a sauce pan and lid. Thanks for the ideas!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
We usually cut the breasts into strips and stir-fry with noodles and a bit of soy sauce, with sweet chilli to serve.
Poundland are doing camping frying pans at the moment, alright for a quid!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE