Cooking on a fire.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If your going to use a mess tin, the Boy Scout ones are hard to beat. I've used them over open fires (the coals actually) for over 40 years now.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I'm not exactly sure what a mess tin is, but some folks I've camped with have had problems with so-called lightweight camping
fry pans that can't tolerate heat; they end up all warped and useless. We use a thick bottomed stainless steel pan--lighter to carry
than cast iron, but heavier than the crappy sheet metal gadgets. The extra few ounces is worth it.

SANY0032.jpg

Six of us spent a week in the backcountry last year using only the 3 items for cooking...not too much weight per person..

SANY0028-1.jpg

One of the nice simple methods of controlling heat if you are using pans ect is to cut two beer can thickness logs around a foot long.... Place them about 8" appart with the ends pointing towards the fire.

Simply scrape out some ashes from the fire and channel between the logs half filling, but getting less towards the outside ends. The logs then become pot stands and you move the pan up or down the log depending on heat required. It also dry's your logs for later.

al.

This is a good tip, b it like the Nessmuk way of putting two logs in a tight "V" shape with coals / fire in between. Slide pans up and down "V" to adjust heat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE