Cooking and eating a joint of meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
Hi

I have been a chef for about 20 odd years & I now teach catering, but you can take my advice or leave it if you have enough info already. Others have basically hit it on the head!

If it is red meat (Beef, Venison & Lamb) then it can be cooked to varying degrees of liking relatively safely. Just remember the more processing the meat has had the higher the risk of contamination, therefore the more cooking required!
e.g. Leg of Lamb or Beef Joint can be cooked rare!
Steaks obviously
Minced Meat should be cooked through! (although a nice rare burger is naughty but nice)

Pork is a contentious issue,
back in the annals of time Pigs suffered from some kind of infestation which meant that to kill the bug pork had to be well cooked. Better farming & processing methods have for decades eradicated said bugs therefore it has to be said that to eat slightly rare pork is actually better, with cuts as with read meats (Loins, Legs & Fillets) but I still say only pink (no pun intended) not fully rare.

Chicken still has salmonella all over the shop so cook it thorough i.e. over 72ºc or till juices run clear.

Duck & other Game birds treat as red meat if young & pork/chicken if older!

The main thing to remember is when it is raw keep it cold below 5ºc-8ºc and you'll be fine.

My tip is take it away with you frozen wrapped in clingfilm, then bubble wrap, then paper & store next to your water bladder (keeps your water cool as you Hike) then when you reach overnight stop tada defrosted ready to cook.

Hope this helps & I have some info on food safety if you want it pm me & ask me to send you my Food Temp Charts doc I have for my students.

I'd post it as an attachment but I can't as I'm not privileged enough yet!

very thorough reply :You_Rock_
as andyc54 said i cooked a lamb shoulder; scavenged a length of fencing wire and wrapped it around the joint to form a cage/basket and hung it off the tripod to cook and smoke gently for about 5 hours. think i only turned it over once or twice. nice smokey caramelisation on the outside and inside; really moist and tender. suffered no ill effects and tasted great. did have some morphine later but thats a whole different story :240:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE