Meat for cooking over a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

I'm going on a one-day bushcraft course in 2-3 weeks, and I want to take some meat with me to cook over the fire (we'll be foraging plants). I'm thinking of something that I can cut into chunks (1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes, probably), spear onto a thin stick, kebab-style, and roast over the hot coals. Locally, I can get venison or wild boar (country park has a deer farm, and their venison chopper-upper can supply wild boar as well).

I'd appreciate some suggestions on which cuts would be suitable for the intended cooking method. Looking for something that will cook fairly quickly, and turn out tasty and tender. My first thought was a bit of fillet steak of venison until I found out how much it costs - £48 a kilo(!), making my intended 150g (6oz) chunk about 7 quid. That's a bit too pricey. There are other cuts that are cheaper, but not sure what to get. Don't know what the wild boar costs, or what cuts are available.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The 'better' cuts take flame more easily for tender eating but to be honest cooking over a fire or charcoal can still be a bit hit and miss. If you can, take something to brush the meat with even if its only a little oil. High fat meat like some cuts of pork will be self basting to a degree and require less attention, how about diced belly pork on your stick and roasted off? Stuffed in pita bread with fresh greens would be nice.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Can't go wrong with chorizo, always take a vac-packed one with me, can be done on a stick over the fire or fried in a pan as it renders out some of its fat. Which course are you going on?

N

Nomad

Yes, I'll have a little Nalgene bottle with olive oil in it. Found something called jerk seasoning in the kitchen, but not sure what it is (other than a browny powder). Was thinking I could rub a little of that in it as well.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Chicken thigh meat? Cut off the bone and cubed - more flavour than chicken breast meat and very cheap, so when you reduce it to carbon you won't cry as much:)

Belly pork sounds good, but you do get a large amount of fat with this! Pork loin is still much cheaper than beef or lamb, will be tender but will need basting.

Alternatively, get some prawns - great for stick cooking! And also option of geting some trout/mackerel etc, gutting, making up a parcel out of silver-foil into which you place the fish, along with some herbs, bit of butter, garlic, lemon slice etc, and just putting on the fire to cook.

N

Nomad

The course is a custom one that I arranged with Wildwood Bushcraft for myself and a few colleagues. Main bits are: safety with sharps, water collection and purification, plant ID and foraging, cook your grub, firelighting with sparks, firelighting with friction. Maybe some campcraft stuff along the way (pot danglers and the like).

N

Nomad

Choices are venison or wild boar, folks - looking for suitable cuts from those.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The course is a custom one that I arranged with Wildwood Bushcraft for myself and a few colleagues. Main bits are: safety with sharps, water collection and purification, plant ID and foraging, cook your grub, firelighting with sparks, firelighting with friction. Maybe some campcraft stuff along the way (pot danglers and the like).

Stew it with the foraged greens.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Stew it with the foraged greens is an option if your short of time, you'll have more time to do other things.

N

Nomad

Got 200g of frying steak for 4 quid. Also got some venison & wild boar sausages, which I'm going to try in a casserole at home (with carrots, onions, leeks). No cuts of wild boar - just the sausages.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Only spotted this thread but you've already bought.................Next time try shoulder cuts to roast over the fire - not so much fat as belly pork and suchlike but enough to self - baste and stop too much burning and drying out.....................and it's very tasty! Shoulder of boar is a favourite at home as well.................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE