Convex grind question (Help appreciated!!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DFT

Mar 3, 2009
West Sussex
Hello there Bush folk!

Got a new woodlore clone(ish) a month ago. Lovely knife but if I'm being honest it didn't have a particularly sharp edge when I got it and the grind is slightly convex which with my relatively amateur skills I am struggling to get it as sharp as I'd like!!

I find trying to sharpen it with the convex grind is a bit of a ''guess the angle'' game!!

The part of the blade closest to the handle I would say is flat but after 2 or 3cm it starts to become convex and becomes increasingly more so right up to the point of the blade.

I........... Don't.......... Like it!!

Is it possible for me to just keep grinding away at it on my DC4 sharpening stone until it's flat or will I have to get it re-profiled by someone who actually knows what to do?

If so does anyone know someone who could do this for me for the appropriate fee?

Advice on this matter would be smashing!!
Thanks

Dan

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Dan

I would advise a quiet word with the maker about what he might be willing to do to sort this out - in fact, I would edit down your original post until you have had a discussion with Paul.

Most makers are very keen that their customers are happy, because that's how good reputations are made.:)

If you don't get the right answer after you've spoken to Paul, then you can come back to your original questions and someone will help you, I'm sure.

HTH

Rat

DFT

Mar 3, 2009
West Sussex
Cheers rat,

yeah that was perhaps a little insensitive but without intention I can assure!!! Got nothing but praise really as I have voiced on here before and the grind issue is just preference I suppose..

However... I did think to do what you advised before my post but I have read a review on the same knife written a while ago and the reviewer expressed the same concerns as that of my own. Apparently he did return the knife for more agreed sharpening/grind work yet it still came back to him only marginally improved.... Again I say apparently.

Of course I can't vouch for the reliability of this info as I don't know the reviewer but I can say my knife on initial delivery appears to be the same as his was.

He had his successfully re-profiled by Lonestrider? or Longstrider? or a similarly named person...

Do you know of his work?

Dan

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Hi Dan did you buy the knife with a flat grind or a convex it should be one or the other. if your having trouble sharpening it get in touch with the maker-seller explain your problem to him he mite be more than happy to sort it out for you it could be a number of problems. good luck

DFT

Mar 3, 2009
West Sussex
Hi Stanley,

On the site it said the knife would be ''flat (scandi)'' but it definately appears to go from flat to convex. Possibly will do as you and Rat said but the info I mentioned in my response to Rats advice is making me reluctant.

Thanks for the advice tho guys

DFT

Mar 3, 2009
West Sussex
I don't want it to come across that I'm slating his work because as I said it's a lovely knife and I would still reccomend him but I'm just not sure about the grind... for my own preference.

What are your thoughts rapid boy? Do you re-profile knives or know anyone that does or can it be done on my DC4 at home?

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
To be honest i think you should contact Paul Baker and talk to him first, he's been making knives for a couple of years now :D and he would be he best man to sort it if it needs sorting.
Any custom maker will want his customer to be happy and it's fair to give him the opportunity to address any issues you have with his work.

DFT

Mar 3, 2009
West Sussex
Fair comments chaps!!! I think I will do as suggested by all you guys and contact the maker, explain my thoughts and see what can be done. If it ends up that my fav bush knife will have a convex grind then............ so be it!!! I'll just have to ''man up'', learn to sharpen it properly...... and deal with it!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE