Controversial way to signal.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
you could carry a lighter and use the internationally acknowledged rescue fire triangle.

Ok - so you need rescue in a blizzard in the lake district, or the caingorms? What are you going to burn?
Or maybe you are in the middle of the moors on a hot summer's day. You light a fire . . . Anyone see anything wrong with this? Anyone?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sounds like a really, really boring life. Don't be too sad though; maybe one day you'll actually get to go to the real outdoors.

He's not wrong. Snowdonia in peak season has traffic jams, and the most desolate place I've been is Birkenhead's ex shipyards. Anywhere approaching wild is probably scotland. On account of the really high pop density in england and Wales, scotland is hardly sparsely populated either. Minnesota on the other hand or nebraska, or Australia Canada etc. I hope I get to go to the sparsley populated regions one day too.

As for the laser, it does seem to work, but batteries, water, malfunction, or even bringing the plane down due to blinding the pilot, are all reasons against it.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Ok - so you need rescue in a blizzard in the lake district, or the caingorms? What are you going to burn?
Or maybe you are in the middle of the moors on a hot summer's day. You light a fire . . . Anyone see anything wrong with this? Anyone?
Fires are for air rescue, again they shouldn't be needed in the UK and helicopters dont fly in blizzards,unless you know better. Why would you need rescuing from the middle of a moor in summer especially as you would have a survival kit? One could use your survival kit or just use the stuff you have with you and walk home.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Please, please, please don't do this. You will blind the pilot, and even if you dont shine it directly in his eyes, the crazing effect of the light on the perspex canopy means visibility is reduced to almost zero. This can very quickly cause a loss of control.

Do anything else, but not this.

Billyblade. Blade as in chopper blade. As in pilot.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fires are for air rescue, again they shouldn't be needed in the UK and helicopters dont fly in blizzards,unless you know better. Why would you need rescuing from the middle of a moor in summer especially as you would have a survival kit? One could use your survival kit or just use the stuff you have with you and walk home.

Again i'm struggling here to pick up if your post was intended to be funny or not.

Problem i'm having is, if it was intended as humour then it's not funny.
If on the other hand it's actually your opinion then you are so wrong i'm amazed you would post it on a outdoors forum like this.

Do you understand that people twist ankles, break bones, suffer concussion, heat stroke, heat attacks etc while out in the country?

Could you please explain how these injured parties are to signal for help in the middle of a moor in summer?
Or are you suggesting that someone with a broken leg should walk out of a situation like that?

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Medical emergencies, in my opinion should be covered by a first aid kit and a cell phone or sat phone or even a short wave radio, NOT by carrying a survival kit.
I fail to see how a tobacco tin full of micro tools will help or blinding passing pilots with a laser pen. If you cant see the common sense of being properly equipped then by all means survive and thrive with your 'PSK'
I dont mind being considered stupid for posting my opinion as you don't have to agree with me.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Medical emergencies, in my opinion should be covered by a first aid kit and a cell phone or sat phone or even a short wave radio, NOT by carrying a survival kit.
I fail to see how a tobacco tin full of micro tools will help or blinding passing pilots with a laser pen. If you cant see the common sense of being properly equipped then by all means survive and thrive with your 'PSK'
I dont mind being considered stupid for posting my opinion as you don't have to agree with me.

Absolute nonsense

There is absolutely no way you could carry a FAK to cover every eventuality, that's not even mentioning the training needed to use it.
What do you suggest i carry in my FAK that will help me get my 120kg mate off a mountain with a broken leg?
What magic potion can i give another mate that has a heart condition if he has a heart attack to enable him to walk off a mountain?

Ok maybe we could call for help but what about the vast vast areas of the UK countryside that's NOT covered by mobile phone signal?
What about if the phones battery is dead?

Even IF i get a signal and my phone works its still going to be a lengthy wait before any help gets to you, what happens if the weather rolls in in the mean time and the rescue is called off?

It's not like many could afford the subscription on sat phone either, plus it's a electronic device prone to flat batteries, damage and failure just like a short wave radio.

Again i agree with you that a baccy tin with snare, fishing kit etc is absolutely useless, you are over exaggerating your opinion to the point of absurdity here though.

People DO have emergencies while out hiking, you can't carry enough supplies for every eventuality so to be responsible you NEED to ensure you have enough signalling capabilities to get someone to you.
You should also have enough clothing/emergency bivvy bag to survive a night out.

Burying your head in the sand and rolling your eyes isn't really going to help you when your in the middle of nowhere, cold, wet and with a broken ankle is it.
Emergencies happen, it's our responsibility to ourselves that we have the kit to help a rescue be effective if needed.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No, just the ones we are discussing for bushcraft use in the UK, which are usually packed in a 2oz tobacco tin.

The ones we're discussing? You're the only one who's even brought them up.

I agree with you that those are pretty useless (no matter where you are) And I agree with your earlier statement about taking proper gear, whatever that might be. And like you, I too carry most of my gear in various places other than a dedicated PSK.

But that said, spare food, a spare knife, a good lighter (no, not for signaling) and a few other items that I don't intend to use unless in an emergency, such as the whistle that cbr6fs mentioned, are all items that could rightfully be considered "survival" gear. In my case, that would include spare ammo.

And yes, a 1st Aid Kit is a damned good idea. Hopefully I won't need it and yes, most of the "emergencies" that a "kit" is able to handle usually aren't life threatening. But having one could mean the difference between having to cut a trip short by several days or staying on course. A simple dose of Imodium can work wonders. As can a tube of Hydrocortisone.

Last edited:

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
So is that the complete roster of your knowledge/experience with survival kits? A tobacco tin full of micro tools?

Still laughing at this one!!

I'm quite enjoying this argument that's seems to be going on! I'm not really sure what the issue is to be honest...
Are we saying that flares are good or bad? Does the manufacturers of laser flares make them without any regard to asking advice from aviation authorities?
Should we all carry a bag full of first aid bits and bobs, whistles, phones, survival tins regardless?
Should we all have a medical qualification before going anywhere?

I've probably missed something somewhere so I'll stay on the sofa for safety's sake!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Still laughing at this one!!

I'm quite enjoying this argument that's seems to be going on! I'm not really sure what the issue is to be honest...
Are we saying that flares are good or bad? Does the manufacturers of laser flares make them without any regard to asking advice from aviation authorities?
Should we all carry a bag full of first aid bits and bobs, whistles, phones, survival tins regardless?
Should we all have a medical qualification before going anywhere?....

-Are flares good or bad? Good if you need them, but I only carry them where they're required by law (aboard boats, and certain aircraft)
-Do the manufacturers of laser flares ask the aviation authorities? I have no idea TBH. The video linked earlier would indicate that those particular flares are safe though.
-Should we all carry a bag full of 1st Aid stuff.....regardless? Define a "bag full." I carry a whistle and a simple 1st Aid Kit for the common injuries, as well as matches or lighter, and a spare knife. Phone? I don't; they don't work in the real woods anyway, and the batteries would hardly last more than a couple of days.
-Should we all have a medical qualification before going anywhere? Well at least basic 1st Aid training of some sort. Not just before going into the wilderness, but before even getting into an auto TBH. When I was still in Middle School (called Junior High School back then) it was a mandatory course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE