Controversial way to signal.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Did I win?
Apparently you believe so. Tell me though, what did you win? Are you also so bored with home that you need to make up a fictitious adventure? Frankly when I lived in the UK I was fairly impressed with the outdoors.

Bushwacker bob's posts on the other hand indicates that he's of the mind that it's so sedate as to offer no challenge. You resorting to fiction indicates that you also have trouble finding a real challenge.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Its not boring, just the reality of life in the UK, hence the title of the forum and the theoretical object of our discussions. I work in English woodlands most days of the week so perhaps I am more in touch with the situation than say 'someone in Florida'

Another reality in the UK is that people do die each year while out hiking and enjoying the outdoors.

A decent back up plan and a few essentials help keep that number lower each year.

I can see your point and do agree with you that most survival tins you see are nonsense, fishing kit, snares, wire saws and the like aren't of much use to most folk caught in a real emergency situation.

A decent knowledge of first aid together with a decent FAK not only could save a life it could also help speed healing, prevent infections and get you off a mountain rather than needing to call SAR.

Leaving a detailed itinerary with a trusted person will at the worst help retrieve your body, at best it could mean difference between spending a unplanned night out or a land rover, stretcher, helicopter ride back.

A emergency bivvy bag makes a life threatening unexpected night out just a miserable night out.

A torch and whistle can help guide someone to you if you are unable to walk, again potentially life saving.

You can purchase most of the above for next to nothing, they weigh very little and take up very little space, so much so that i'm of the opinion that a person would have to be pretty daft NOT to carry them.

But then i'm of the opinion everyone should a basic first aid training, so.................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE