Conibear #220 Traps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Was clearing out my junk email folder and amongst the usual "Hi it's been a while.. have you thought of buying something" from Amazon UK was an offer for Conibear #220 Traps. Now I admit I've watched a couple of trapping videos on YouTube out of curiosity though I'm more into photographing the wildlife than eating it but what puzzled me was who the heck in the UK would need a steel trap with 10" jaws?

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Here's the Amazon page... amazon.co.uk/Duke-Company-0420-Gripping-Animal/dp/B000BQY6GW/

Raccoon's are a bit scarce in Mercia so I'm guessing it's Mink or Fox, possibly the occasional burglar you're after then?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you have misread. That is item 420 with a 7" opening, they also sell item 430 with a 10" opening.

I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of pest control if you think either suitable for fox! Fox are generally snared then shot ( or just shot)

A 220 would be suitable for small mustelids. I would imagine it could indeed be used for Mink on a suitable raft, although I would prefer a cage trap and a shot to despatch for fear of non target species.

When I use body hold traps it normally a Fenn trap ( no 4 or 6) for rats in artificial tunnels or rabbits in warrens. I prefer large cage traps on the surface, even with great care I get the odd hedgehog using rabbit runs and with cages I can just release them. Same for rats in open areas. I use both tunnel and scissor traps on moles.

Vermin management is an important part of land stewardship and is both necessary and ethical.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Most of my pest control experience is digital, culling spammers, trolls & creeps on a kids website to pay the bills.
So spring traps are a completely alien subject, the occasional DIY chicken wire tube for rabbit but that's about it and was surprised there's such a demand for these little ankle snappers.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They really are very small. A 10" spread joins at 5" off the floor. It wouldn't close properly on a mans boot. Useful for small stuff bothering a hatchery or coop but no significant quarry. Nothing to be exited about.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I have a small collection of small conibear and fen traps. They are super powerful and rather scary. I use then to trap rats in the garden....we had a bit of a plague last year. The traps (fenn) are set up in a home made tunnel with a small entrance too small for hedgehogs. We also have a live trap but have only managed to capture hedgehogs.....so we don't use it any more.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Hedgehogs are litle bleeders for going in traps

As red say's the ones in your link are just small mammal traps. I'd happily walk across a room full of them provided i had a decent pair of boots on
Saying that though, toys, they aint.....sticking your hand in one would rather ruin your day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE