Condor Tool & Knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've been looking at this company's products and to my eye they look and sound great value and good pieces of kit, Iam no expert on knives so I'd appreciate you learned more knowledgable types thoughts and opinions on Condors products please!

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
Your eye would seem to be spot on...
Something more expensive may do something for your ego, but these tools are great value and will give years of service with normal care and attention.
no affiliation etc.. etc..

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Anything I've seen from Condor has been very good, except my own Bushcraft Basic 5 inch. I'd suggest always checking with the retailer regarding the year of manufacture as they had QC issues with earlier years. The year is marked inside the box. Mine was 2012 which may have explained the poor edge retention and rolling edge.

I've seen a few of they're Bushlore knives and a Bushlore mini all made in 2013 and they are outstanding. The sheaths are worth £20 alone. They may or may not need a bit of fettling to get the edge to suit your preference but they will get awesome sharp and sharpen easy.

They're speciality is machetes but they have come a long way with they're knives.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
I've got the Bushlore & my son has the mini version. I think they are great. I used mine every day at the Bushmoot last month and it performed all the standard array of tasks asked of a bushcraft knife in the Woodlore style. The blade isn't over thick either, which I think is an advantage (though I'm certainly no expert either). It holds a decent edge, and is extremely reasonably priced. I'd buy another, if that's any recommendation!

Last edited:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks gents, Iam no expert on knives as I've said and up till now I've only used the Mora. They have served me well but I fancy giving something a little more substantial a try. Iam no exper on steels either, how is the quality of the materials as they appear huge value for money! Once again thank you for your knowledge, opinions and replays chaps :)

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I use the Condor Bushlore as my main knife (batoning, chopping kindling, feathering etc) and I can't think of a bad thing to say about it. Easy to sharpen, stays sharp well, easy to grip etc.

I certainly echo what others say about it being on a par with more expensive knives - I've owned a fair few and honestly consider the Bushlore to be amongst the best, despite costing a tenth of the price! As has been mentioned, the 'free' leather sheath that it comes with is a real quality affair - bit stiff to begin with, but soon loosens up.

Oh, mine is the 2013 version, bought a few months ago from Hennie Haynes: http://www.heinnie.com/Bushlore-Knife/p-0-0-4941/

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
Ive engraved the condor axe and the nessmuk and i have a condor bushcraft knife winging its way to me as we speak pnce ive used it and engraved it i will post up my thoughts for your perusal

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I used to hear quibles about them until very recently. From this year on though they really seem to have got their act together and make the obvious first port of call for people wanting decent traditional looking kit at very reasonable prices. You won't get top end fit and finish for those prices or 01 steel and fancy styles of wood on the scales etc but you will get a very sound product for the money.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Apologies for repitition to anyone has seen me post this on similar threads before....

Ensure the knife you want to buy fits your hand.

Mora Clippers/Campansions can be deceiving as they seem to have a remarkable shape-shifting ability to be comfortable in many very different hands.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I've had a Bushlore knife as my backup tool for a while now. They are solidly made a can withstand plenty of abuse. Mine was appallingly blunt when I got it but after a fair bit of elbow grease I eventually got an acceptable edge on it.

Overall, they are excellent value though.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Agree with everything said. The moaners I've seen are those expecting glorious fit and finish from a knife still made mainly by hand yet costing only a fraction of expensive custom products. So if completed product with no blemishes floats your boat then these knives are not for you. Conversely, If you're handywith tools and enjoy personalising your kit - Condor offers an unequaled opportunity to get your hands on a high value knife painlessly.
Me - I got my eyes on the Condor Hudson Bay knife. I like big knives.

I've been looking for a full tang bushcraft knife for a while now and really like the Condor Bushlore but the blade isn't a scandi grind which I prefer and has a slight bevel, the Woodlaw is a scandi but I don't like the exposed tang at the end of the knife handle. There seems to be mixed reviews (and I've read a few) with Condor knives, mainly to do with slight imperfections, sharpness and uneven grinds but this can be fettled later and the sheaths are of high quality. I love my Mora's for price and quality so begrudge spending hundreds of pounds on a pretty knife when a Condor will do the job at a fraction of the price. I just haven't decided which one to buy yet.

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I've had the Condor Bushlore for a year. I think it's a great knife. Very tough and holds it's edge really well. I nearly bought the Hudson Bay knife too, but went for something different in the end. What are you thinking of getting CLEM?

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've had the Condor Bushlore for a year. I think it's a great knife. Very tough and holds it's edge really well. I nearly bought the Hudson Bay knife too, but went for something different in the end. What are you thinking of getting CLEM?
Ello Will, it was the Bushlaw I was looking at! They do seem really rather good value!

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Ello Will, it was the Bushlaw I was looking at! They do seem really rather good value!
Go for it - everyone raves about them. The only negative things I've heard have been about the old model (2011 & earlier I think)

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Will do I reckon, mind you the micarta version looks very nice. I still think I'll go for the basic model! Condors bigger knives look very nice aswell, the parangs and goloks look outstanding!

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have the Nessmuk and realy cant fault it. If I had to pick fault with it it would have to be the grey paint on the blade which was a bugger to remove, once that was off and I oiled the handle it is great

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE