Condensed milk and cream

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Look here. I am known to have a decent palate.
I can not imagine how it tastes.....

But, I will try anything et least once!.
So it is a mix of 50% milk and 50% Condensed milk, poured in Coca Cola?
Maybe 25% 'milk mix' and 75% Coke?

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Look here. I am known to have a decent palate.
I can not imagine how it tastes.....

But, I will try anything et least once!.
So it is a mix of 50% milk and 50% Condensed milk, poured in Coca Cola?
Maybe 25% 'milk mix' and 75% Coke?
try 30% condensed 70% cola............I wonder if you going to try it and think me evil :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No worries, they have been defiled before!
Toad-in-the-hole with a liberal dose of ketchup is a memorable one!

:)

But it was a weird taste, the SA Cokemilk... I think the carbondioxide made it strange. Without the bubbles it would be more like flavoured milk!

My tastebuds are back to normal, recovered fully after enjoying a nice Melton Mowbray pork pie and Cow Foot soup for lunch !

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yep.
Local, Caribbean dish. Old slave food (is it PC to say this?)
The white people took the best bits from the animal and gave the rest to the slaves. They found ways to use all, in very tasty dishes.
Cow foot, without the hoof, cut into pieces. Yams, salt. seasoning pepper ( = Scotch Bonnet minus the heat), Scotch Bonnet pepper. Thyme, black pepper.

Cow Foot is similar to Pork Trotters. Slightly milder taste.

Another favourite is Salt Pork Tail Soup.
Salt Beef and peas another. That one used to be made from heavily salted beef shipped over from UK, remains of what the British Navy had for provisions. They unloaded the (old, semi rancid) barrels of Salt Beef, and sold cheaply. Bought freshly salted meat ( pork, goat, turtle) on the voyage home. Again, was bought cheaply by the white folks and given to the black brothers and sisters.

Today it is not rancid of course. But salt beef has a much nicer taste than fresh beef!

The 'peas' is in fact small brown beans.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, it is. I have a friend, a black American, that is a true foodie. He learned lots of dishes from his (very poor) grand mother, plus the origins.
Even in the US they have a veritable treasure trove of very tasty 'slave food'. different from the Caribbean, but very tasty1

What about boiled Water melon rinds? Chicken head and feet soup? or even better, Cow Skin casserole?
Yes, boiled cow skin (hairless though!) !

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Yes, it is. I have a friend, a black American, that is a true foodie. He learned lots of dishes from his (very poor) grand mother, plus the origins.
Even in the US they have a veritable treasure trove of very tasty 'slave food'. different from the Caribbean, but very tasty1

What about boiled Water melon rinds? Chicken head and feet soup? or even better, Cow Skin casserole?
Yes, boiled cow skin (hairless though!) !
Ok anybody recall "Indiana jones and the temple of doom" I'm starting to feel like the lass at the dinner table! :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Even in the US they have a veritable treasure trove of very tasty 'slave food'. different from the Caribbean, but very tasty.....
It's called "Soul Food" but it's not completely disconnected from white Southern Food. If you draw a Vin Diagram with three circles (one representing Soul Food, another representing Southern Food, and the third one representing "country food" they'll overlap considerably. Fried chicken, BBQ pork ribs, and BBQ chicken will be on all three. Chitterlings, cornbread, collard greens (and mustard greens and turnip greens) okra, and blackeyed peas will be on the overlap of Soul and Southern.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE