Compound bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I think he meant that instinctive shooting gives you poor form if you then want to do 'formal' target shooting.

The lower brace height of a recurve (compared to compound) means you are more likely to slap your forearm. The answer is to wear a bracer!

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
mrcharly nailed it on the head, sorry.

Instinctive shooting is fine and dandy and you can be a great shot, but if you then want to go to do proper target shooting, your form won't quite be up to standard and you'll need to readjust.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
mrcharly nailed it on the head, sorry.

Instinctive shooting is fine and dandy and you can be a great shot, but if you then want to go to do proper target shooting, your form won't quite be up to standard and you'll need to readjust.

But, you'll be able to adjust quickly - I switched over to instinctive shooting and find it a lot more fun and certainly better for field style targets where range and angle vary a lot.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I do not see how shooting instinctively give you poor form, form should be your building blocks for every shot. Instinctive shooting is training your body to shoot accurately without aiming, shooting instinctivly should not change your form as form is training your body to recreate the same movements every time you shoot.

Last edited:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
No worries, for me the nfas is better as we shoot 2d or 3d targets at unmarked ranges, efaa normally shoot at round targets at marked distances but I think some classes do as nfas, but it is all out in the woods

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I do not see how shooting instinctively give you poor form, form should be your building blocks for every shot. Instinctive shooting is training your body to shoot accurately without aiming, shooting instinctivly should not change your form as form is training your body to recreate the same movements every time you shoot.
Totally different ways of holding your body, the bow, sighting etc.

Instinctive shooting is shooting without using a sight, not without aiming!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Totally different ways of holding your body, the bow, sighting etc.

Instinctive shooting is shooting without using a sight, not without aiming!

Maybe I am getting confused but I do not hold the bow any different or have a different stance when shooting, I do not aim (with sight or looking down the arrow/at the point) I focus at a spot on the and let my body do the rest. I repeat the same movements on every shoot until it is automatic and done unconsciously.

edit - if I am using a different style of bow (tradtional vs recurve) I can see how hold the bow changes.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Formal target shooting and you can't shoot instinctively? Of course you can and will have to at certain shoots. I have no doubt that if all that worries you is ever higher scores as the be all and end all of archery that sights and all the rest of it will be necessary for you. Room for all sorts in archery so I won't criticise other people's choices but it should not be implied that one sort of archery is superior.

veqtor

Oct 24, 2014
Sweden
If you haven't shot a bow before I recommend signing up to a club and shooting a recurve first. It's very important that you get the technique right so as to not develop a habit of drawing your bow in a way that can create muscle issues. A 60 lbs bow is very heavy to draw. You might be lifting 70 at the gym but unable to draw a 50, because you'll be using very different muscle groups. The choice of a bow is very personal. I think you should go to a dealer that stocks bowtech and hoyt and try several models.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE