Competition...are you a poo guru?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was hunting for an elusive new neighbour today and scouring for sign.

During my travels I found and photogpraphed some interesting droppings. I'm fairly sure of them (although I have of course been wrong before) :D

I thought it might be a bit of fun to throw them open for ID by way of a fun challenge. No prizes other than the opportunity to put "poo guru" in your signature :lmao:

As context these were all found in a lightly wooded glade on the farm we live on which is high on the South Downs.

I've tried to leave enough grass and foliage in the shots to give a sense of size and scale

Heres the first

3315725517_46e5c1f9c0_o.jpg

I cut this one open so you can see contents better.....It was hard and compressed

3315725513_2d25265f09_o.jpg

Heres the second - smaller than the first. This one could be one of two creatures but I'm fairly sure I know which from the area

3315725523_a0cf0ab3f6_o.jpg

The last, and the largest. I hope and believe this to be the sign of my new neigbour who I have heard and identified from sound, but sadly I have not yet seen

The "overview"

3315725509_ef5bd93680_o.jpg

and a close up

3315725503_c6b59314f9_o.jpg

So (in best Lloyd Grossman voice)....who poos in a shape like this?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly three creatures as you spotted - although interestingly the three sets of droppings were within a 20' radius of each other!

I did think "little owl" for the middle one initially ...but reconsidered on closer look

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
And this is the first pics you show from your new camera!? - from this point on they can only improve I guess as I reckon these pics are poo mate!;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
oops - yep I forgot :eek:

Okay, now I'm no real tracker (although I'm trying to educate myself) so what I'm posting here is heavily supplemented by my knowledge of the terrain and the creatures I have observed there plus kill sites etc.

The top one I am 100% confident - its buzzard

I have seen many buzzard hunt and nest in this area. The droppings are hard.no bones a couple of inches long and cylindical and were under a tree - classic buzzard.

Next one looks like owl but is slightly too grey and bird poo like fo me. Definitely some bone and fur though. I believe it to be magpie - probably carrion eating.

Bottom one is winter fox. Why winter? Well in summer and autumn foxes round here at least eat berries and the droppings are darker, but in winter there is an almost entirely carnivorous diet so the fecal matter is almost entirely fur, feather and bone and goes grey. The "rope twist" is classic fox shape.

So, my seen reading is an area of activity with fox as apex predator. The corvids (crow family) are feeding on the carcas - hence the magpie droppings. I've wintessed magpie (and lets face it that "football rattle" call is very distinct) in the area. Buzzard aren't averse to some dead meat or may also be dropping on bunny from the branches as I have watched the lazy things do.

Certainly fits the pattern of droppings and accounts for three species in one locale.

I do enoy the "detective" aspect of tracking and trying to piece together patterns of activity. I'm fairly confident on this one but am very willing to have my identifications challenged - I'm still very much the "greenhorn" :)

If people enjoy these things Im happy to post some more....kills, scat, tracks etc.

Red

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Bottom one is winter fox. Why winter? Well in summer and autumn foxes round here at least eat berries and the droppings are darker, but in winter there is an almost entirely carnivorous diet so the fecal matter is almost entirely fur, feather and bone and goes grey. The "rope twist" is classic fox shape.

Red

Seasonal scat.

That's a good point for everyone to note.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE