Compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, BCUK. Which compass should I purchase? I know that I need a baseplate compass and know the general features. For some reason, the one recommended in The Ultimate Navigation Manual, the Suunto M3 Global, isn't available on Amazon.co.uk. Well, there's one available but it's vastly overpriced. Curious. Are Silva good? What compass do you use?

Last edited:

James1173

Dec 29, 2013
Marchington (staffordshire)
hi mate. in my opinion you cant go wrong with a silva expedition 4, ive had mine for ages and its sound. you can spend a small fortune on various compasses but to be honest i dont think you need a fancy expensive thing. just knowing how to use one properly is the key to good nav. so yeah id recommend the expedition, cheap enough at about 20 quid and more than good enough.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I bought a silva expedition 4 last year to replace my Suunto that I lost after all the recommendations on here

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Next big question though will be mils or degrees? I have bought both types, mils is a lot more accurate measure than degrees having 6400mils in a full circle , but to be honest when on a compass it doesn't really make a lot of difference without the use of a mils protractor.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
no need to use mils, i mean you can if you like but you'll find that your gma on civvy maps is in degrees so it makes sense to use degrees unless you have military maps.

That's why they have conversion tables... After all squaddies ain't rocket scientists all the time... Unless they are Artillery or Mortar operators.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
A conversion chart for those with a mils compass who might find only GMA info in Degrees.

Cm5206b0028im.jpg

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Don't really need one, just knowing that there are 6400 in a circle and divide by 360.

or copy and paste the chart above encapsulate it and put it in your map pocket.

It's no different to using a tape measure, metres and millimetre on one side and feet and inches the other.

The old military saying that the only person more dangerous than an officer with a map, is an officer with a map and a compass looks like it can be adapted for civvies as well...:lmao:

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
I've got the Suunto M3 and really like it. Very well made in my opinion.

Remember, you'll need mils if you're calling in artillery, but for fast air you'll need degrees.

Joking aside, mils only really provide accuracy if you're using a sighting compass and you need to navigate with extreme precision.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
The reason the military use mils, is that an angle of one mil equals an offset of one metre at a distance of 1000 metres, which means you can measure distance from the angular width or height of a known object, very useful for artillery range finding. For the shooters among us, that's the proper use of a mil-dot scope reticle, not as a way to aim off for wind.

Alan

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Baseplate compasses are only accurate to about 25 mils, which, err, makes degrees more accurate...!

Interesting, I thought the needle always pointed Magnetic north, and the bezel was what made it accurate, the bezels are mass produced by the same makers so maybe the degrees are inaccurate as well ;)... Both are of course only as good as the person using them.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE