Compact First Aid Kit?...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fletching

Dec 6, 2010
London
I have three kits in different sizes. The contents vary according to type/duration of trip, but the basics for cuts, burns etc are always present. The larger 'expedition' kit was put together with the help of a GP friend of mine. Where possible and practical, I always try to keep dosage instructions/side effects info when discarding boxes and write expiration dates on the backs (if not already there). It pays to check your kits before every trip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Expedition Kit - shown in extended trip/solo wilderness mode for (e.g.) Canada/Norway
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contents (clockwise):
Antihistamine tablets for allergies/stings/bites
Heartburn tablets
Fabric plaster strip
Lansoprazole (personal meds for acid reflux - you probably have your own med needs)
Burn dressings and liquid
Water purification tablets (and neutralisers)
Vaseline (aloe vera) - can also be used for fire lighting with cotton balls
Fabric and waterproof tape rolls
Large wound pad
Sterilisation pouch (in case someone loses a finger, you can save it in this)
Sterile gloves
Sterilisation wipes
Plasters
Bandages
Compeed
A razor blade
Cotton balls
Tweezers for splinters etc.
Sewing kit and scissors (first aid training definitely needed for sutures!)
Germoline
Diclofenac sodium (high strength painkillers)
regular paracetamol
Lemsip flu capsules
Rehydration / Electrolyte powders
immodium for, er, the ****s!
*** Not shown here are:
A resuscitator mask
Prontosan - highly recommended for serious 'axe-type' injuries (http://www.prontosan.co.uk/)

I know there's probably overkill here, I wouldn't carry all this for a UK camp but for solo wilderness (or one kit per team), you've got most things covered, and this is still quite compact considering the contents.

2. Bug-Out Bag Kit - general camp mode

Contents (clockwise):
Cotton buds
Mini Compeeds
Tweezers
Burn dressings
Micropore tape
Liquid plaster
Wound pad and plasters
Water purification tabs (again)
Safety pins
Bandage
Scissors
A condom (use to carry water too)
Antiseptic/anesthetic cream

3. Emergency (72 hour) Pouch Kit

Contents (clockwise):
Water purification tabs (again, again!)
Neurofen
Plasters
Compeed
I hope I've given some idea of what to include, but your kit will depend on your own trip.

Hope this helps.

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE