Compact Camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
I have someone begging to buy my Canon600D DSLR for a reasonable price. I am tempted, as I have been thinking of moving to either a full frame DSLR or embracing the compact style of camera.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience of either and could comment on which option? The use would be mainly for landscapes. Thank-you.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I just got myself a Sony RX100 III. It doesn't have much tele zoom, but if you shoot mostly landscape that should not be a big issue. For a compact camera image quality is great. You can shoot RAW, it has a big sensor for a compact, and you can change about any setting you can find on the camera (you need to buy a separate book, the manual is useless). Compact enough to carry in your pocket.
It will be the only camera I will take on my upcoming trip to Norway.
One drawback: it's really expensive.

(I have switched from my Canon 40D with a bag full of lenses to a Panasonic G5 about a year ago. Never regretted to get rid of the heavy stuff!)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I switched from a Nikon DSLR last year to a Fuji X1 Pro Compact system camera.
It is very liberating not to have such a heavy camera kit to lug around and the Fuji picture quality is fantastic.
It has the advantage of classic retro good looks too.There are a few lenses available using the 4/3 system and all superb quality glass.Downside is the price of spare lenses but the upside is that you don't need to buy extra ones for landscapes as the standard 18mm would be superb for that job.
Nice and compact and easy to use/adjust.Only slight niggle is that the shutter is not electronic so for tripod use the only option is a cable release which could be limiting.
I love it though, and my son now has the Nikon so if I desperately need a 400mm telephoto lens I can always borrow it back!
My advice would be go smaller.
Happy shooting, Simon

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
All my photos are with :
Olympus OMD E-M1 or E-M5 or I still use my ZX-1 I love them all.

Sell the Canon and go and look through a selection of cameras in a shop the Sony R7 range is stunning. You will not go far wrong a CSC from Olympus Panasonic or fuji it is a matter of which you like best.

Compare sizes
http://camerasize.com/compare/#100,289

Last edited:

LoneWalker

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2014
Devon
Thank-you for all of your advice. Been away for a while on holiday, so will start to have a serious look at the recommendations. I think my mind is made up to get rid of the Canon, just need to decide what to get.
Cheers, Darren

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE