Commuting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

How many hours does it take you to get to work?

• Less than 30mins

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <1 hour

• <1.5 hours

• <2 hours

• >2 hours

• Total voters

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I suppose I'm lucky my commute takes 20min in the car (less now schools have finished, little buggers) and my office is in a farm building so the view is of fields. The best bit is I get to drive away from bedford town centre, which I live on the edge of, out to the counrtyside. I'm moving soon so I won't have to go near town which will be a big bonus.

I have commuted further but swore not to do it again. The best thing about the army was that you never have to commute to work.

Bill

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I'm currently " at my leisure" a fancy term for unemployed and looking. My last long term survival job caught me one day with a worn out car and no funds to replace it. Our public transportation system is a disastrous, underfunded mix of buses and a feeble train system- virtually useless. I had to walk twice a day for 1 hour and 45 minutes at a military pace with two timed stops for a cool drink. I got into great shape, found nature in the strangest places; birds nests, a family of squirrels that I fed. The people were interesting too. A New Age bookstore along the way had this fundamentalist Christian outside waving a bible and quoting scripture against their evil ways. I stopped once, there was a whole herd ( wiggle, string, spool?) of earthworms stranded on the rapidly drying sidewalk. My buddhist studies from long ago kicked in, and I rescued them all to the cool planter. This moron starts screaming at me about worshiping the earth. I gave him a big hug, kissed him on the cheek and said "God loves me, but he can't stomach you." He fled, never to return and I got a free vegan fruit drink everyday from the store. The kicker was our store had to promote ride sharing or alternate transportation to fullfill a minor state mandate. They encouraged this by offering points and the promise of a racing bike at the quarters end. I had 978 points. My nearest competitor had 17. My department manager gave me a PARTIAL ride home one day and claimed 1 point. I really NEEDED that bike. They held the drawing, and quess who magically won?

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I'm lucky I live out in the country and only have to go into town to work.

Thing is we have to move soon and look for somewhere new to rent , all the nice ( ie affordable ) cottages are taken so it looks like townie for me

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i only got to cycle like 12 minutes to my job, i used to cycle that long to school too, but now (ok, in a month time ) i can jump in to the tram which is right next to the flat i live in and i can step out right next to my new school: The Hague University. :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
i just heard that my wifes cousin has bought a house in Ryde on the Isle of Wight. he works in Croydon :yikes: He leaves his car overnight in Porstmouth (not a wise move i used to live there). Walks 15 minutes to the ferry. Then drives to work. How long must that take? The mans mad.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I work less than a mile from where I live, I also work shifts, so the roads are clear when I'm travelling. It usually takes me around 7 minutes to get to work. Problem is, I live in the middle of a flamin, dirty, great city and when I'm home from work, I'm still less than a mile from where I work. You cant have it all ways. :(

Still, I'm luckier than some as my job is very flexible, my skills are in demand and I can get work quickly and easily pretty much anywhere in the country. I'm hoping (actually, I'm gagging) to move back to somewhere green in the next couple of years (in fact if I dont, I think I'll go insane!). It's just a question of finding the right job with the right salary and the right place to live at the right price - easy peasy. :D

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I think I might have set a record yesterday. I left work at 16:15, and got into Aldershot Station at 20:15. Four hours for a journey that usually takes one and a half!

Two of those hours were spent just outside Clapham Junction station in a queue of trains waiting for the signals to start working again. But that wasn't all...

I hadn't managed to get a seat on the train, so I spent the majority of the journey crouched in a corridor between carriages with 10 other people.

Ok, there's a target - Beat that!!!

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Yesterday I had a similar competition beating incident. Poor weather stopped the trains from leaving London Paddington - but not until I'd boarded one AFTER LEAVING WORK EARLY!!!

So, from 1615 til about 1800 we crept our way towrads Reading station. Then, after 2 trains home had been cancelled, the whole platform decended on the arriving train. The guards were literally pulling people off the train so it could leave and was less overcrowded!

So, i waited for a further train and finally got home at 2015.

Thats the same time as you Womble... but i had a 20minute tube journey BEFORE i got on the smegging train!!!

jakunen

Native
And its no better this morning. Left home at 7, got to work at 9:35.

All due to yesterday's rain and areas still flooded, signals and points damaged by the rain (why haven't the idiots who make these things realised that occasionally they might get wet, this being England... :?: ).

Think I need to quit work, find some woods, build a cabin and turn into a hermit...

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have one too.

Back in January I left were i work in Blackrock just South of Dublin City centre at 5pm and arrived home at 2200pm. No explanation of the cancelled trains, and it seemed like one of the coldest days of the year. I had too walk two miles from one station to another just to prevent hypertermia(sp).

The journey usually only takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

James

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Today I got to work 20minutes later than usual. This was caused by our trains being delayed because of kids on the line between Newbury & Reading. I suppose the only good thing about this is that it wasn't "bits of kids" on the line!

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Dang, sorry to hear about the nasty commutes. I retired a while back and do a little income on the puter. Never have liked the cities much and spend as little time as possible in them.

I used to drive 54 miles on the freeway just to get to a back breaking, though not very routine job placing reinforcing and structural steel on the San Francisco bay area. Most of the work in SF. Now I walk from my bedroom to the kitchen for a cup, then to the livingroom where the puter is set up. Then I walk down the road, cross the river and into the hills where I belong.

Here's the view from the deck of our 2nd story tiny apartment. The hills in the background are just across the river.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
RovingArcher said:
Here's the view from the deck of our 2nd story tiny apartment. The hills in the background are just across the river.

Nice view! :super:

I've got mountains out of my window (when they're not hidden in the clouds, which is most of the time!). Sometimes it's nice to work with a view. Very relaxing and aids creativity. Other times it's just plain distracting. I used to teach at a college with a terrific panoramic view of Snowdonia and all the students' eyes would gradually wander out the window as the lesson drew on. Eventually I'd find myself staring out there too and realize that trying to do anything constructive in that lesson was useless...! :eek:):

I really feel for all you guys with the commute ahead of you (or behind you) each day. I once worked in North London and had to drive through the traffic daily from Surrey. I found it quite exhilerating - sorry! (but then I'm a country bug and it all seemed pretty exciting at the time. :roll: :?:)

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
The sector in which I work has generally meant that my employer is likely to be City [London] based. For years I commuted from the 'burbs in Essex and Middlesex and counted a 80 minute one-way commute as a good day.

I finally realised that, for me, the offense that the journeys presented [road-rage, delays, overcrowded tubes, etc] was having a greater negative impact on my well-being than being in the burbs was having in a positive direction.

So, we moved to the City. Sure the flat is a bit crowded, but the wife and I are just 15 minutes from our respective workplaces by bicycle. We have all the amenities you could wish within 10 minutes walk and arrive at the weekends stress-free and enervated for whatever outdoorsy jaunt we have planned.

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
If I need to go to the office it takes 2.5 hours. But I am one of a 'team' of two. We cover the whole of the UK. So sometimes I drive for 4 hours or more to my first appointment. :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE