comfortable waterproof trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eelco

Nov 7, 2005
The Netherlands
Hello all,

I've been bushcrafting/hiking for a while now and i've -allmost- (right!) got my kit complete. The only thing i'm really missing is a good pair of trousers. There's basically three things it has to do:
1. Be very very hard-wearing. (like fjallraven g1000?)
2. Be waterproof (sitting down everywhere)
3. Not be camo.

I've been thinking about hunting trousers or maybe fjallraven forester caribou trousers, but they're quite expensive (about 200 euro's). Anybody got ideas?

with kind regards,

Eelco

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
You could have a look at Deerhunter clothing (the brand). I've got the montana jacket which is very comfortable, waterproof, warm and absolutely silent to move about in. They do corresponding trousers which will be all of the above.

I think the trousers are about £70 but if they are like the jacket they will be worth it.

Alternatively... you could just get separate waterproof trousers cos it's not that much of a chore to have a damp bum!! In that case I'd recommend Crag hopper Kiwi trousers. They dry very quickly and are hard wearing and comfy. About £35. Then you could get any old waterproof trousers for when it really rains.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
How about getting some standard ones and sewing waterproof patches in the critical areas - seat and knees.
I find the problem with waterproof trousers is they hold the sweat in more making it quite uncomfortable especially in summer !!!

Mark

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Think outside the box...

Motorbike trousers are usually very robust, reasonably priced, have removable lining and padding and are waterproof.

Most are under £100 and are good for wearing all day (FANTASTIC in the winter too)

As a first place to look, these guys are good: Hein Gericke

There should be a store by you :)

Hope this helps.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would go for Paramo. I've had a pair for a couple of years. Very waterfroof, soft and silent when walking making them great for stalking and can be opened at the outer seams for ventilation. They can also be waterfroofed and washed easily.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Paramo all the way, although not indistructable they are easily repaired and will remain waterproof. Only problem with them is if you sit on anything wet (which you shouldnt anyway) you can push moisture through them. :(

sabre iom

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Isle of Man
I use swazi dri backs in the winter, they have a lining inside so when you sit down you dont get damp, the rest of the leg isn't water proof but a longer coat and gaiters help with that , in the summer i use crag hoppers kiwi's they have an ace map pocket on the right leg and as mentioned above dry out quick.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
I can certainly vouch for Filson gear. I've got a tin cloth shirt thats so stiff I imagine my grandchildren will still be trying to break it in. It's extremely hardwearing but not uncomfortable. The only problem is getting 'em into the UK without paying an arm and a leg.

Eelco

Nov 7, 2005
The Netherlands
Hmmm, those swazi dribacks look pretty good. It shouldn't be too hard actually. It needs to be 100% waterproof & tough as nails on the behind. A little less waterproof for the rest of the trousers and more breathing. And it needs to be extremely tough on the shins for that nasty undergrowth.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Ben from Woodsmoke was raving about his Chevalier stalking trousers (Chevalite?) which are apparently waterproof and looked pretty comfy.
He says they are available from The Black Islander Co. (Mr. Hamish Cromarty) on 01349 877770, amongst other stockists (I dunno where else. No connection, not even a customer etc...)

Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE