Combat style boot advice, please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Winter is coming, with cold rain and freezing mud. Normally I wear cheap running shoes wherever I go as jogging is my preferred mode of travel. =D
But now I want something warmer, and more weatherproof.

The trouble is that my wonky feet wear out boots in a hurry, especially on the inside of the heel. I simply cannot wear boots with a foam, rubber, sponge or mesh lining at the heel, they last me a few weeks at the most.

So I've been wearing british army boots, which are all leather lined. I really liked them for a while, but last year the leather started to crack, letting water in, and the sole came off in several places.

Now I'm not really sure what to buy. I would like to try another army boot, or at least a leather boot that is simple and rugged.
Are there any that won't fall apart with regular use? Could someone recommend a pair that ideally doesn't break the bank?

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i have used the brit army assault boot, the first pair was great but on the second pair the rubber sole detiorated very quickly and so badly that chunks came off all over the sole like some sort of delamination, for that reason i am wary to buy another pair, sorry but i can't offer an alternative but am interested to hear of one too. PS/ i tried the german army paraboot but didn't like the fit, found the toe area a bit narrow while the heel a bit wide, looked good quality though if they do fit.

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Same here with the British boots - fine for a while but the soles started to crumble and soon became unusable - Probably OK if you are in the Forces and can swap them in stores - but not good for the civvy customer looking for long term serviceability.

I currently have an old pair of Matterhorn Fort Bragg boots which are as soft as carpet slippers but a little narrow; a pair of German army Para-boots which are OK but not as comfy as the others.

I might try to get an old pair of British CBH (Boots Combat High-Leg) as they fitted well when I was issued them and don't appear to be too spendy at the moment.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
Pro-boot are the alternatives to issues that recruits try and get away with using. Just like issue but comfy liner.

if you want something tougher and markedly more comfy, I use Lowas and mine have been battered to say the least, quick polish off you pop. Can't go wrong with them - theres a reason why these are used by armed services across the world.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
+ 1 on the Lowa's, i have some GTX mountain boots and can't recommend them highly enough, comfy from day 1 and blister free, they have taken a battering after 3 years and then some.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
rogue boots, my normal pair have lasted 7 years and still have years left, thats with A LOT of use, very comfy though bin the insole and use something else, love em,

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Guess what I'm going to suggest ? :)..................Yes the .Latest issue German para boots,...... tough, well made, waterproof, very comfy, leather lined, padded & you can pick up a used pair in excellent condition for under 50 quid (about £80 new). You get a lot of boot for ya money & yer feet will thank you for it.:D

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
+ 1 on the Lowa's, i have some GTX mountain boots and can't recommend them highly enough, comfy from day 1 and blister free, they have taken a battering after 3 years and then some.

Interesting comment. Mine rubbed the skin off my toes regardless of sockage. On the plus side they are in excellent condition having been in the understairs cupboard for the last three years.

;)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Interesting comment. Mine rubbed the skin off my toes regardless of sockage. On the plus side they are in excellent condition having been in the understairs cupboard for the last three years.

;)

Very surprised indeed, was it a sizing issue as apparently they are supposed to be a tad on the small size, my boot size varies 8-9 so the Lowa 9 was spot on for me, the 1st time i ever wore them was for a full week (took them off for bed) on a stalking trip in the minuses with Sealz-Skinz trekking socks underneath....toasty and comfy from day 1 :campfire: :)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Go with the Lowas.
Ive had a pair for 2.5years and the sole has only just worn away but the rest of the boot is as new, all i need to do is have them resoled and off i go again.
They are waterproof up to the 2nd lace hole, goretex type lining and they are great for keeping your feet warm and dry in winter (3ft snow).
Absolutely brilliant boots.

Fat Rog

Forager
Sep 30, 2012
Rotherham, S. Yorks
There's an old saying - You gets what you pays for. Unfortunately it's not always true. Sometimes you are paying for a name. I've just bought a pair of Highlander Alpha boots, they're about £35 on ebay. They look similar to Magnum boots, they are insulated but are not waterproof. This something I'm hoping to cure with a bit of Nikwax Fabric & Leather (about £7 off ebay inc. postage). They feel comfortable on the foot and so far I have no complaints. I weigh over 18 stone, so as you can imagine I'm quite hard on footwear. In the past I have fallen into the trap of buying the most expensive boots/ trainers in the shop, thinking they would last me a while, only for them to fall apart within a year :(. Nowadays I buy less expensive stuff so it doesn't hurt so much when they've give up the ghost. So for a shade over £40 I've got boots that I can (hopefully) make waterproof and still retain their breathability, feel comfortable on and will probably last me as long as the Magnums would, but for nearly half the money. For me they are ideal, as I'm not off on long expeditions (too old and too fat for that :D), so I don't need to spend hundreds on a pair of boots. For general use and for tramping around in the woods I think they're pretty good value. We'll see how long they last, but for the money I'm not going to cry if they turn out to be crap :)

pyrotech

Oct 1, 2012
Aylesbury
a bit off track , but as you jog about and want tough... Amazon have had some good deals on the Palladium. I can't wear heavy(ish) boots, and I find these excellent quality, and hard wearing soles. The occasional spray with water proofing is advised.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I have had my standard assault boots for about 7 years now, not a massive amount of wear to them, no issues, super tough and comfy, use them fishing and shooting. Look as new when I bull them up which is once a year. The rest of the time it's boot brushes and kiwi black only, the sole is fine. Have heard there was quite a big batch affected the way you mention with the soles crumbling. The only problem I've found with them is I wore them when it snowed earlier this year and when the stuff freezes and makes that sharp crust it has cut the leather in a couple of places. Not all the way thru but on the surface, but polish has kept them tough. If the leathers cracking I would suggest its down to poor maintainence not poor product.
I have always had good service from us jungle boots. The standard us boot is very similar but all leather, maybe ill give them a go if my issue ones give up.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Guess what I'm going to suggest ? :)..................Yes the .Latest issue German para boots,...... tough, well made, waterproof, very comfy, leather lined, padded & you can pick up a used pair in excellent condition for under 50 quid (about £80 new). You get a lot of boot for ya money & yer feet will thank you for it.:D

I agree, mine have served me well for years.

ThriftyKnight

Sep 29, 2012
Derby
Whey, so much good advice! Thanks muchly everyone!
I have looked at the Lowa's and they seem brill, but I'm put off by the goretex lining. I just can't wear anything like that, my feet rub through them in no time.
My workplace supplies me with really good safety trainer-style boots and I go through a pair every couple of months. Nobody really knows why.

The doc looked at my feet and apparently I over-pronate a little bit, but not so much that it should be an issue. I just have oddly shaped heels and it wears away at the inside of any footwear I'm using. I'm reluctant to invest in a really good pair of boots if I only have to buy another one half a year down the line.

Which is why I liked the Assault Boot. It's all leather inside. Unfortunately it just kind of fell apart in the end, even with weekly maintenance. It seems for some people they last forever. Maybe as with all mass-produced gear, sometimes you get a really good one and sometimes you end up with the dregs?

I kinda like the sound of german para boots. All leather on the inside, are they?

Any particular place I should buy them from, somewhere that doesn't fuss about if I want to return them?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Any particular place I should buy them from, somewhere that doesn't fuss about if I want to return them?

There was a thread running on BB a couple of weeks ago about the new German Para boots if you Google manx direct and try to find their Military surplus site on E-Bay there is some on there new and 2nd hand.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE