Colour Of Clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What colour do your clothes have?

• Total voters

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
I voted other.
First of all, I cannot afford having special clothing for every outdoors pursuit I do.
Secondly, depending on what I do, I might prefer bright colours before subdued ones, and vice versa.
/ Karl

Jun 26, 2009
Bolsover
MY kit is very simple, jacket and trousers are ventile cotton, before any one says that they are not simple or too expensive, I baught them from an army serplus shop in munich and the lot only cost 30 euros, the reason for this is that they are in the german camo colors but im not that fussed, under this it depends on the weather very cold and more layers are added, as for boots, I have a pair meindel walking boots no goretex lining though, I dont like it.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Out and about, black mostly, but depending on the mood, I might mix in purple, green and rust colour. Footwear, well the most comfortable boot I have ever had, my old issue high leg combat boots resplendant with brass zips instead of laces, (going 19 years now and moulded to my feet), or sandles, of the Birkenstock Milano variety. I tend to steer well clear of camo, as, well, to me, it is too cabbagy and to me, says too much about the wearer. OG is the nearest I will go. Oh, I always seem to wear a black Aussie bush hat too, which is there to stop my hair getting wet or sun scorched, no personal transport means bus, or walk everywhere.

Oh, because of my ethics, all my clothing is sourced second hand, and therefore, an affordable price.

And, natural fibre where at all possible.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Earthy colours for me almost everday of the year some bought some dyed to my tastes.

i agree with what people have said about olive drab standing out like a sore thumb in autumn.
The smock below is my autumn/winter smock with an olive drab one the same for summer.

tundra053.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Noddy, when were you up at Ogwen Cottage? I was there around 67 and 69

When I was at school I was recommended to keep going on al these LEA subsidized outdoor courses in Wales. I remember looking down off Cribyn once and one of the instructors says that if there is someone in an orange jacket in the landscape, all you can see is the orange jacket.

I try and knock the colours back a bit for politeness sake (though I don't like camo) and carry a hi vis in case

(edit - Cribyn makes sense, but in fact when I close my eyes and think about it, I see the Bwlch :))

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
oh .. and it's jeans and greens for me ...... not into the camo stuff ... perhaps if i was trying to hide from someone .. I think camo is supposed to be stuff you wear not to be seen rather than to be seen wearing :wink:

of course for emergencies i have my Predator gizmo that surrounds me in a force field that reflects my environment :eek:):

Cool! where did you get it? Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? I bought one off ebay, but it must a have been broken cause it never did work.
;)

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Having been a hunter for 30+ years i always go for colors that blend in, Anything from Khaki to dmp camo to realtree i don't like to stick out like a sore thumb when in the woods. If i want to be seen there are plenty of ways to do that. But i must admit i do like the Realtree brand of camouflage its grate camo that works.

Works great for hunting in my neck of the woods too! ( Edmonton, Alberta.Canada )

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I gotta go against the bulk of opinions here. I wear some camo and tough hardwearing black BDU trousers most of the time - some of my kit is ex-military (pack, Jacket etc) because to get good performance kit, it was much, much cheaper to go the army surplus route (15 quid for a gore tex jacket, courtesy of the German army).

The other advantage I see with camouflage is the blending in aspect. It does this really well, which is preferable for wild camping, in my opinion.

I wouldn't say all ex army kit is the best for the job, but a significant portion of it is, and worth investigating.

If civillian equipment was as cheap as army surplus, and available in muted colours, I'd buy that, but I'm not paying in excess of a hundred pounds, if I can spend fifteen, just because of what others might think of the colour.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a black softshell jacket, a blue one the same and a German army waterproof jacket. if its raining I put the German army thing on top but if not I don't.

Keks are either jeans or my work trous that are those Snickers work keks with the kneepads.

Basically whatever I happen to be wearing at the time, I don't do a Mr Benn to go out for a walk with the dog anyway.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I avoid any kind of cammo or too much green. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't choose the military or bushcraft uniform look. I usualy buy mix of green, black and greys that I can wear to the market or to the forest without looking too out of place in either.

Argo

May 2, 2009
Sidney B.C. Canada
Like many who have commented here, I like to blend in with ODs and khaki.(I do carry a bright orange storm shelter)

Don't really fancy the DPM, though I am learning not to give a flying feck what others think of my appearance.

I recently found a fella in NZ selling unissued DPM Swanni jackets, not cheap but they are new old stock, and made in NZ.

Can't stomach the idea of wearing a Chinese swanni regardless of the colour*

*Canadian spelling

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
For me it's greens and browns, I like a nice plaid shirt in natural woodland colors but no attempt to completely blend in.
I think the full on military type camo deal is mostly an american thing.

Apr 3, 2006
Otley
Interesting results. If animals are colourblind, why do hunters feel they need to blend in at all (camouflage colours etc.)? In difficult terrain it's best for obvious safety reasons to wear bright colours. In the event of an accident or difficulties, makes it easy to spot. Heard of one woman who was only rescued cos helicopter spotted her red tshirt. If she hadn't had that, she'd have died.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not all animals are colorblind. Most mammals true enough but birds usually have full color vision. Turkey and dove hunting particularly require a very good shooting blind and clothing choice; as do ducks and geese. Even mammals can differentiate shades so cammo (helps) break up an outline and the shading (if well selected) is still similar to the surrounding foliage. As to wearing bright colors; over here all states require you to wear a minimum amount of "hunter's" orange to lawfully hunt during big game seasons.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE