Colour Of Clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What colour do your clothes have?

• Total voters

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

When out there what color do your clothes have? Colors that blend in with environment (not necessarily camo) or bright (yellow, red, light green, cyan, blue)???

It's easier to be seen in a bright color jacket, but even with such one, it's difficult to see a man in a fog. (assuming that he's hurt and needs help for example)

Personally i'm nostalgic and go for the green, black, brown colors, simply because it gives more privacy if strangers should come across. :wink: :biggthump

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
at the moment my bushcraft clothing are either OD, brown or tan BDU trouwsers and t-shirts also OD, Brown or tan. Other things are usually green ( therma rest, bivy, poncho, backpack, etc )

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
ColoUrs .. it's Colours!! :nono: . you may be a Wiking but you are EuWopean at least .. please don't fall in to the habit of using spelling of the English language in such a perverse manner! :nana: :wink:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
oh .. and it's jeans and greens for me ...... not into the camo stuff ... perhaps if i was trying to hide from someone .. I think camo is supposed to be stuff you wear not to be seen rather than to be seen wearing :wink:

of course for emergencies i have my Predator gizmo that surrounds me in a force field that reflects my environment :eek:):

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
:rolmao: I guess 'word' and spell check are to blame there - I fall in the same catagory and I'm supposed to speak English so The viking shouldnt feel so bad - after all we cant all be overly edumacacated now can we! :nana:

As for clothing - I like plain colours in the field, I try to avoid camoflage (in all things) just because I'm ex-army and dont want to be mistaken for some wanna be soldier which to a real soldier is lower than being a laywer.

Hardest thing I find is finding a mix of clothing suitable for wearing both in the field and while travelling to and thro - here I think the checked Swanni stuff works well as does black, sometimes this is useful being neither 'tree huggy' (sorry Geoff just a phrase!) nor commercial 'I've got a £200 goretex and it keeps me dry from the car to the front door' type of thing!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I tend to wear Khaki clothing almost everywhere its a natural color without being green.

ifyou want to be seen for emergencys carry a large brightly coloured silk panal

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Simon said:
ColoUrs .. it's Colours!! :nono: . you may be a Wiking but you are EuWopean at least .. please don't fall in to the habit of using spelling the of English language in such a perverse manner! :nana: :wink:
I'll choose to perceive it as being ironically... :wink: Pla pla... :nana: You get the meaning. :wink: Well i'm sittin' here with my 2 pound dictionaries and you can say both! :wink: :) BTW: "Colour" is american! :biggthump

Cheers :uu:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Simon said:
ColoUrs .. it's Colours!! :nono: . you may be a Wiking but you are EuWopean at least .. please don't fall in to the habit of using spelling of the English language in such a perverse manner! :nana: :wink:
The origin of the different spelling is interesting. America chose to differentiate itself from Britain from its beginnings and spelling was included in that. You can read more in H.L. Mencken's essay from The American Language.

Noah Webster, whose Blue Back Speller (1788) sold 82 million copies within a century of its publication, was a great pioneer of US English as opposed to British English. He said that establishing a national language was as important as winning the American Revolution itself. The spelling of such terms at theater instead of theatre and color instead of colour is Webster's legacy.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Stuart said:
I tend to wear Khaki clothing almost everywhere its a natural color without being green.

Same with me. I'd prefer the desert to the jungle any day. :eek:):

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Voted 'other' because while most of the time I wear natural colors (beige, green and anything in between) there are times it's more inconspicuous to wear bright colors. An example of this being if I'm chopping wood the general public will be more comfortable seeing an individual - especially a woman - in overalls or a a day glo vest than say drab or dpm.

On the hills I decide based on what I'm up to! Whether I might get lost, in which case I'll wear bright colors so I can be seen. Or if I'm :mischief: and want to get lost (not that I ever bivvy where I shouldn't! :nono:) then it's olive and dpm and scrim scarves for completeness. ;-) Always carry a day glo vest though! :wink:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Adi007 said:
The origin of the different spelling is interesting. America chose to differentiate itself from Britain from its beginnings and spelling was included in that. You can read more in H.L. Mencken's essay from The American Language.
Uhhh yeah .. so we cunningly moved a few letters around so now it's our language .. uhhh :roll: :eek:): :wink:

do you suppose it's nature being caught up by consciousness and claiming a false authorship? :wink:

P

PeterC

it might just be me, but I think wearing bright colours in the country side is the equivalent of constantly shouting at the top of your voice.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
PeterC said:
it might just be me, but I think wearing bright colours in the country side is the equivalent of constantly shouting at the top of your voice.
Yes! :D
As with materials of clothes: I don't wear GTX either or Ventile or any other 'high tech' fabric. It's too expensive for my wallet. The only thing I really need is a normal rain coat and a poncho at night. :wink: :D Never bringing raintrousers either. Guess i'm a bit nostalgic.... :biggthump

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
You and I both TheViking - sometimes the simplest pleasures are the greatest ones! :biggthump I our over complicated lives it is easy to over complicate that which should be simple and free!

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I chose other most of my decent kit is left over from climbing. otherwise its whatever is on top of my clean clothes in the draw. Not that fussed about having special clothes for this or that. Although i can often be seen in black.

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
I tend towards blending in but not cammo as I usually wear a lot of the same stuff in town. However I carry a day glow vest with me (as EDC!) with my first aid kit. Too many years of riding a motorbike 365 days I suppose. Makes me paranoid about the need to be seen in emergencies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE