Colour Of Clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What colour do your clothes have?

• Total voters

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I tend to wear Olive green although my overnight rucksack is a bright yellow Lowe Alpine Contour mountain 45 which I got when I first started doing overnight hikes a while ago and I can't afford another. I love the pack, just not the colour. It's subdued by mud now though :-D.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Gary said:
You and I both TheViking - sometimes the simplest pleasures are the greatest ones! :biggthump I our over complicated lives it is easy to over complicate that which should be simple and free!
Yes. :D IMO it's very rare that I even need my M65, cause i'm very active when out there. This year in Sweden I brought my M65 but never used it... :shock: Was only wearing a T-shirt or a fleece all the time! :wink:

That's why GTX is superfluous IMO. My boots haven't got GTX either! The thing that they're wet, doesn't really bother me.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I use a mixture depending on how good the kit is. I have a really good lightweight Marmot breathable rain jacket in bright blue but the matching pants are black as that's all they had in the shop. I have buffalo/snugpak/swedish smock which are all olive green, and most of my outdoor pants are khaki zip-offs. T-shirts grey/black, etc.

My outdoor sports clothing tends to be bright colours - especially for biking - for obvious reasons.

My work clothing for field stuff is all camo so I don't particularly want to wear it in my leisure time too.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I don't go for cammo stuff but if I'm out and about ( which invariably means I've got a rod with me ) I have some nice khaki hemp jeans with plenty of pockets, this tends to go with a green T shirt and a mottled light tanned waistcoat or a grey fishing waistcoat. If it's likely to be wet then I don a full length leather coat.

Oh, and I'm never without the hat.
Realgar

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Great Britain and America, "Two nations separated by a common language." I was summarily expelled from a university geography class for spelling habits learned in my C of E private school days and filling in Saigon vs Ho Chi Minh City by this effete armchair Che' Guevara wannabe. Subdued colours are truly useless with wildlife unless treated to neutralise the colour enhancers in soaps that increase UV and other light spectrums. Animals rely on more than mere sight to spot our lumbering approaches anyway. With people, half out there don't even see two feet in front of them .Khaki or even that grey-green workclothes hue is suprisingly effective for fading into the background. Somebody with truly quiet woodsways could dress like a Morris dancer unseen while Joe Cool gets spotted in a ghilly suit. My wardrobe is just a miscellany of whatever. I may have a Flektar poncho, but the bright red cowboy bandanna dispells images of paranoid survivalists. What I want, is to eventually have a classic 3 piece Harris or Donegal tweed shooting suit with a Deerstalker cap and Victorian cloak and Brolly to bash any comouflaged commando or unruly grizz with. :pack:

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
A good old mix ! Dark blue, dark green and black are OK for the woods and street alike. Technical mountaineering kit doesn't usualy come in green so it's as bright a yellow and black as you can get ! I'm looking for a bettter coloured jacket for the woods.

Recent hits have been Tony's BCUK T shirts in black and Khaki, and a three pack of T shirts for 8 quid from Decathlon in different natural colours.

Tents and the like are always chosen to blend it.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have simple, non expensive outdoor clothes that are still very tough and hardwearing. I usually go for blacks, creams/khaki, dark blue and olive green when I'm out doing bushcrafty things.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Theres nought wrong with a bit of camo gear....in moderation!! I wear camo trousers so it doesnt amtter if they get trashed, but i also wear green or grey trousers. My waterproof is blue/black tho..... tshirts are generally what ever i can find before I leave the house!

Climbing gear = Brown/khaki quiksilver cords & a generic climbing manufacturer teeshirt (but then I am only a boulderer [sorry "in" climbing joke....])

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Lars Monsens said this about green clothes, "it makes you invisible in summer and visible in winter". Wich is probably what most people want, they dont want to be diturbed in the summer but in the winter is always good to be visible. I use many diffrent colours but green is the one that always works best especially when out in the woods.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
for years i was the "camo kid" i used to collect different designs, i had 21 different camo designed articles.
also during my years of scouting we loved "wide games" i'd made my own "Sniper suit, with bits of old rag and cloth.

i grew up a little and moved on to an elitest camo called "tiger stripe"(new darker version).

a few years later, i moved half way, OG lightweights, and BDU woodland jacket.

living in the city i wanted to dissapear the second i entered woodland, so i could enjoy the woods without being disturbed, so i moved over to full US woodland camo, but i rarely wore the full gear, only in low light.

a 5 years on again, today, i have moved away from the "camo" thing totally,
the Camo thing was always a bit of a Play thing for me, i now want to be able to dissapear into nature but be aproachable too, to promote bushcraft/nature, i now have opted for a brown colour and am slowly turning all my gear that way.

olive green would seem a good option but it seems so out of place in the browns of autunm, and sandy conditions.

the main reason for brown , is nature itself, often i have by chance noticed animals, such as rabits and deer, purely because they have moved, brown seems pretty good for them!

green only works if green stuff is behind or around you!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I like blendy colours, with a strong leaning towards greens, that way if I splash paint when I'm working on the landy it doesn't show too much!

It helps when I dress 'cos my sense of what colour goes with what is just about non-existant!

Dave

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I mostly ware Green of some sort but I have blue/navy and black. I don't really have a preferred colour but most of my stuff comes from army surplus so choice can be small.

The only cammo item I have is my Jacket and that was becuase they didn't have olive and need it. I have been think of going more brown, khaki and Grey but if the only thing I can find is a red fleece thats what I ware.

James

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Varies with the circumstances with me, tho I guess I have an outfit for almost every situation...

Around the house I wear this

www.assj21.dsl.pipex.com/chameleon.htm

but generally colour of clothes depends on whether I want to be pretty much left alone in the woods, or if being noticed doesn't matter one bit. Out walking in essentially public areas, like on Dartmoor or around semi-rural areas I usually wear a white/ black Berhaus XCR jacket coz it's comfortable and easily seen. Tend to not wear dpm much, tho OD puts in an appearance when I'm in the woods or out taking pics. I prefer to keep my tent or bivvy more hidden than I keep myself.

Strangely I wont wear anything but black or Navy when I'm being boaty which probably isn't the best idea...

Aug 25, 2004
Australia
(this is from Australia...I know but I'm using this site for the knowledge).

I also used to be a camo kid, then I went through a black everything stage, but now I'm middle aged my favourite colour is khaki tan. I wear all sorts of stuff/colours but mainly 'conservative' colours, although I do have a flouro yellow mesh top for mountain biking, and an emergency orange vest IF I want the visiblity.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My entire wardrobe is in shades of Olive, Tan, and Khaki...except fot my DJ and one red Columbia shirt...and a couple of grey shirts....with some civvi cammo stuff as well...I am not sure the DJ actually fits anymore.....
I tend to carry a bright orange survival bag for emergency visibility and a dayglow vest for cycling.
I despise loud colours in the countryside, unless it is being worn by the emergency services coming to rescue me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE