Collins Gem Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

2 Q's!

I wonder what dimensions the Collins Gem books are. Has someone got them?? :wink:

I'm thinking of getting the 'SAS Survival Guide' and the 'Knots' books. Are they good. Please give a short review. Especially the Knots... :D (I can always find the other one somewhere here :wink: )

Thanks in advance! ;) :D :biggthump

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not sure of the actual dimension but my brother has the survival one and I am pretty sure it's version of Lofty's book. I may stand correct on this but I am almost 100% it is.

From what I have seen of them they are handy pocket guide books useful for throwing in the pack on a days ramble for the on the spot indentification with a little bit more research done at home with a more comprehensive volume. Any knot book is good once it has colour prints in two shades. There are few knotty people here. It's the practise that really matters. As it's with everything.

James

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Yes I have the collins gem surviival handbook and it's a smaller, condensed version of Loftys original.

I also have the trees one which is very helpful and easy for identification.

G

Ginja

Yeah, I can heartily recommend the Collins Gem series. The SAS book is an exact duplicate of Lofty's large-format Survival Handbook (impressive they squeezed it all in! Though the pic of a Swiss Army knife on the cover is a tad ironic ...). Haven't checked out the trees/knots books, though will do so after reading this post.

Basically - they're tiny, packed with info, and VERY good value for money. You can't go far wrong ... snap 'em up!

G

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Ginja said:
Though the pic of a Swiss Army knife on the cover is a tad ironic ...)
Yes! I can't see either what a fake SAK is good for on such a book. You can see it's a fake one even in a small pic. :wink: :roll:

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
3" x 4.5" x 3/4" (to be exact the same as: a single music cassette, 3/4 length of a M16 rifle magazine :rolmao: you can fit 3 books in a single PLCE ammo pouch :wink: )

the SAS book IS identical to the origional it is only missing the Nuclear warfare section. i guess because it ain't likely anymore! :biggthump

trees is good, i also have one on fruit and berries, birds,

do make sure you waterproof them though, my SAS version has got wet before without suffering but it's best to make sure.

they are small and take the hint, they are worth it! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE