Pocket books to carry in pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Can't you combine these two thread Chris? - the same stuff is being discussed twice but there are relevant variations in opinion.
Done. That was odd. I saw your request earlier, followed the link that was posted, and it went nowhere. I assumed another mod had already done the combination.

Reactions: Broch

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Reactions: Stone14 and nigelp

Stone14

Aug 3, 2022
Northumberland

Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making by Gibson​

other formats of ebook available.

Collins little gem series has tree and flower versions, not just Food for Free

View attachment 75805
Just arrived, waiting on food for free coming, some say there are errors in the books though, would be nice to know what they are...
948f150ef4678ee3c5e4a9634ecf7df0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I do take a notebook with me - usually a Write-in-the-rain one to scribble or sketch on even if the weather turns against me - but I tend not to carry books into the woods. The reason? Well, once there, there's plenty to do, what with setting up camp, sourcing fuel and water, working out what's on the menu for that day and so on, so that time spent perusing a book, particularly a reference or i.d. book is short. Occasionally, I'll throw in the laminated swivel card things produced by the Woodland Trust - one on trees, the other on plants. They are basic guides, I think designed for children, but they can be useful, if not particularly detailed.

Once 'camp' is established, I like to try and practise my craft skills - developing the few I have or trying variations. If wandering around and uncertain about something, be it plant, tree or track, I'll take a picture of it on my 'phone, make any appropriate notes about its situation and then dive into the reference books when back at the house.

Having said all that, I do like a bit of fiction with me: it relaxes body and soul and helps me sleep well at the end of the day.

Reactions: Stone14

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I can't add to the pocket book category as this certainly isn't light or small, but my wife bought me "The Foragers Calendar" by John Wright and I really enjoy the various little bits of knowledge I can glean from it...

James Popham

Dec 25, 2003
Central Croatia
I’ve actually made my own “selected highlights” notebooks.
A photography one specific to my cameras with reminders on settings depending on what I plan to photograph (landscape, seascape, portrait, action etc).
One for the mountains with space for personal route notes and observations.
One on Bushcraft skills, goals etc.
One in the go bag with reminders, positive thoughts essential numbers etc.
Everything else is digital

I have some of the Rite in the rain notebooks in various sizes

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE