Collapsible water vessels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I am looking for a collapsible water carrier, at least 10l capacity with a tap. I know there are loads available online but my experience with the cheapo, clear plastic ones is that they leak, sometimes collapsing under their own weight! This is not what I want. It is going to get a lot of use, and I want something that will last. I thought ortlieb would be a good bet, but i've read some bad reviews, and they don't seem to come with a tap.

So has anyone had positive experiences with a particular brand? Ideally it shouldn't cost more that £20

I am also looking for a collapsible washing up bowl that fits more or less the same spec as above (10litres+, doesn't collapse when full, durable)

Cheers guys

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Five 2L plastic fizzy drinks bottles would cost nothing and they can be scrunched up small. No tap but do you really need it?

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
No tap but do you really need it?

Yes. It is going to be part of a mobile kitchen, doing catering, so it needs to be easily and quickly accessable,and also fit with environmental health regs, so the reused drink bottles wouldn't be an option. Needs to be food grade. Those things apparently leach into the water (I use them myself though).
Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a MSR Dromedary 10L bag, seriously heavy duty cordura outer with three flow options for the cap.

I think they do a lighter version now too

Recommended

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used on of the cheap cube shaped ones for a couple of years, it cost about a fiver from Go Outdoors I think. It got chucked around on beaches and in woods and stood up fairly well, one day my boot was full so I had to stick it behind the passenger seat, by the time I'd driven from Leeds to Loch Long it had completely emptied :) Maybe a good cheap option but expect to replace it in a few years.

What about a good old jerry can or one of those plastic equivalents? Something like this

I think with anything collapsible there's going to have to be some give with the longevity, unless you spend on something like the MSR

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I think maybe a solid plastic one is going to be the option really, but space is at an absolute premium as its going in a bike trailer.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Yes. It is going to be part of a mobile kitchen, doing catering, so it needs to be easily and quickly accessable,and also fit with environmental health regs, so the reused drink bottles wouldn't be an option. Needs to be food grade. Those things apparently leach into the water (I use them myself though).
Cheers

I accept that they're not what you're looking for but am rather concerned they're not considered food grade when that is exactly what they are used for originally.

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I've had a couple of the Ortlieb water bags for about 5 years, both the 10l and the 4l sizes. They've survived being used and abused by Scouts, dragged around in a canoe and rolled up at the bottom of a rucksack.

They don't have a tap but there is a sort of inner cap that unscrews seperatly from the main cap allowing a controlled flow of water out of them. The biggest problem is that if you're not careful you can open both caps together and end up wearing the 10 litres of water :banghead: Numerous Scouts have had an unexpected shower and a walk to get more water as a result of that one.

I now use a tiny smear of the lubricant from my water filter on the threads which makes it easier to open just the one you want.

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I accept that they're not what you're looking for but am rather concerned they're not considered food grade when that is exactly what they are used for originally.
Type 1 PET bottles (Some/most soft ones) are approved and designed for single use only. Subsequent use is not approved as in some studies they do add toxins to the water which is aggravated further by the flushing/flexing when drinking pouring but it is far from conclusive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE