Coleman camp oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
They will work without insulation, just not as well. I'd not use one over a canister stove due to potential overheating the butane canister but I have used them over a Nova and a 413G Coleman twin burner. The 413 and oven are a perfect match so...Gray...put one on your 'next to buy' list :)

You pretty much need to over heat the butane canister to get any sort of heat out of those stoves anyway! I am not a fan of them. I have an outback oven I have used on my Coleman 424 and dragonfly with great results.

As rik says get a Coleman suitcase stove ( oven fits better on larger 413 or the 3 ring one) and you will be blown away. I find them better and more powerful than my stove in the kitchen.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I had to change the canister half way through as it was only part full. It was ice cold, and I mean ice cold. If anything I reckon without any radiating heat the gas pressure would drop too much.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
They will work without insulation, just not as well. I'd not use one over a canister stove due to potential overheating the butane canister but I have used them over a Nova and a 413G Coleman twin burner. The 413 and oven are a perfect match so...Gray...put one on your 'next to buy' list :)
I have got a twin burner, not a coleman but there's one lying about somewhere. Its blue so probably campingaz or similar

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Just had a look at the 413, not sure I would want to use one because they're a liquid fuel stove and there is holes in the bottom of the oven meaning the gases/smells from the liquid fuel would fill the oven. Not sure how safe that would be tbh. I'll be sticking with gas.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Gray said:
Just had a look at the 413, not sure I would want to use one because they're a liquid fuel stove and there is holes in the bottom of the oven meaning the gases/smells from the liquid fuel would fill the oven. Not sure how safe that would be tbh.

This is nonsense, Gray. The Coleman oven was made to go on a stove like the 413.

Sep 19, 2006
Gloucester
I'm another very happy owner of the coleman oven for many years, mine mainly gets used to show off by cooking fabulous pizzas, but has also been used to make bread, cakes, and various parts of a big roast dinner for a big group.

You can do 2 pizzas at once, although you only get 1 shelf with the oven, I fashioned a 2nd from some cheapy flat metal skewers, also some scrap aluminium tubing with the ends hammered flat works.

Then use doubled up round aluminium foil trays around 10" or 11" with a sprinkling of vermiculite inbetween to stop the bases burning - the one nearest the bottom gets a lot of heat from underneath but they get swapped half way through cooking and seem to even out.

I normally heat it over charcoal - once the charcoal is fully hot the oven is up to about 250 to 300C which is great for pizzas, and stays well above 200C for an hour or so. As the charcoal burns down a few sticks thrown under will keep a bit of a flame keeps it nice and warm for hours if you have a lot to cook.

I have experimented with insulating the back and sides with foils, kiln fibre, even stacking up logs around/over it but unless it's very cold it's not usually worth the bother and works fine with good coals under it.

It's held up pretty well for how much it's been [ab]used over the years but I should try to buy a new one to take over in a few more years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE