cold steel pendleton mini hunter?

J

jay590

Was looking for a bushcraft knife. This will be my first decent knife and i dont want to spend a fortune. Are there decent knives or are they bad?

Jay

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Nice intro .
Always a good idea to have swearing in your first post Jay.
Try a little intro about youself then ask a question without swearing and I'm sure a pendleton owner will advise you

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi
Jay;welcome
Dont know about that specific knife but the pertinent points I picked up are its stainless and hollow ground both fine if thats what you want ;but their are other choices depending on your needs
when you say first decent knife I assume you havent owned a Mora
In reality for the same money (OK maybe a wee bit more with Pand P) you could probably pick up a Bahco Laplander saw ,a Mora fixed blade and an Opinel or Gerber folding knife

If however you are moving onto a personalised knife I would keep your eye on the classifieds here or at British Bladed for a little more money you will get a better knife

For more info than anyone really needs about knives have a read around British Blades.
For what its worth I bought a couple of really rubbish knives when I started I still have them and I cringe when i look at them now;funnily enough kids think they are great and that just shows what they are -glorified toys
The one you are looking at is not as bad as them for sure
Hope this helps

J

jay590

sorry bout the swearing. Just after i posted this i read a post on the moras(guess I should have done more research) Think I'll pick up one of them and see how it goes and go from there. Thanks. Oh by the way I cant buy second hand because i dont think customs will let knives into australia so have to buy locally.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Check with customs and if it's O.K. with them you should be able to order exactly what you want from anywhere.

J

jay590

i like the mora clipper because everyone says the blade it good. Just need to rehandle it as i thinks its gastly.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I did mine with a bit of deer antler!

sheath2.JPG

J

jay590

thanks mick. Yours was thee one that i first saw then i found the tutorial. Yours looks great love the sheath too

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
hiya jay, welcome aboard.

swearing? enough's been said. please don't.

the pendleton mini hunter is a great little utility knife. everybody who's used mine has loved it. sadly, the three finger rubber (kraton or whatever) handle means it's not great for carving when you want to be able to get a bit of force into it. so yeah, get a mora.

you can get the slightly more elegant looking traditional barrel handle moras here

there are plenty of knife collectors in australia who have no problems shipping knives in.

now you mention it, i've not seen my mini hunter for a while. :confused: but i think i know which moderator had it last....

cheers, and.

J

jay590

Again sorry about the swearing. I just realised i could edit it out.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Okay, the clipper got raving reviews everywhere, but there are better (and even cheaper alternatives). The wooden handled traditional ones are IMHO a lot better, available with ordinary carbon steel blade or laminated. They are cheap as nails, allows more hand positions and don't have the godawful plastic handle. The con are that they don't seem to be readily available. And, not to forget, mr Kochansky uses them :D. The sheath is nice to wear inside your shirt do, more slimlined than the clipper.

You can pm me if you can't find one.

Oh, just reread the thread, saw that Sargey recommended it first. Cred to him. Although in my eyes, £9 is double what I pay here! :D

I absolutely hate everything Cold steels make, the director seems to be a real clown (read about his warrior ideals, embarrasing!), everything they produce is made in the far east, robot made soulless junk. For that money you could get far better knives! And yes I am the owner of a CS knife, I got it while in the army when tactical knifes where in fashion (yeah, it is eay to fall for the peer preasure..). The purpose it was best suited for was prying out jammed shells out of the .50 hmg. Went back to my trusted samiknifes. Strømeng makes knives in that price range that are IMHO ten times better.

But as always, try to support your local knifemakers, pretty sure there are Australian knifemakers too..

Yeah, have to add, for me, the swearing is okay.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
sorry bout the swearing. Just after i posted this i read a post on the moras(guess I should have done more research) Think I'll pick up one of them and see how it goes and go from there. Thanks. Oh by the way I cant buy second hand because i dont think customs will let knives into australia so have to buy locally.

Hi Jay590,

You can purchase knives overseas, customs only has an issue with certain types of knives (http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/FS_Importing_exporting_knives1.pdf.). I recently purchased a mora knife from Ben's backwoods on ebay (US site), arrived within a week and cost around $25.00. Great simple robust knife.

And yes there is an Australian knife industry and a few custom knife makers. I have been contemplating purchasing a Dewey knife (http://www.deweyknives.com.au/index.html), would love feedback on their models.

Aug 27, 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi folks,

Just a quick note that the Pendleton Mini-Hunter is flat ground. The larger Pendleton Hunter has a hollow-ground blade. My hiking/emergency pack has a Mora Bushcraft Triflex, a CS Pendleton Mini-Hunter, a 15-inch Sven saw and a Estwing Sportsmen's ax. The Mini-Hunter is no heavy-duty tool, but it's decent steel, 1/8-inch thick, and has a full tang. Good backup, and nearly weightless.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE