Cold Steel kukri's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
Here’s one for the knife nuts that own and tried everything.

Surfing a bit for big choppers I ended up at Cold Steel. They have a small Kukri called LTC Kukri for $ 154,99 and somewhere else on the site a Kukri machete for $ 19,99 (you can order just the sheath for $ 11,99 so I guess the kukri machete is only $ 8 :lol: )

http://www.coldsteel.com/35ltc.html

http://www.coldsteel.com/97kms.html

The two models look very similar. There is a bit of a difference in size and weight but not enormous. Both are from carbon steel. Why this huge difference in price? Is the machete a flimsy toy? Is the LTC over priced?

Does anyone own any of them?

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Think Adi's your man for this lot mate,
know he has one (not sure if it's that exact one)..

I'm sure he'll reply soon... (the man never sleeps)...

good luck, they're sposed to be pretty good :)

cheers :)
Carlo

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
You’re probably right.

I’m sure he will lecture me about American copies of indigenous tools, that a real kukri is something very different and that the once from HI of the army or whatever are much better. :oops:

I’m sure they are, but I’m not looking for a authentic collectors item costing me a fortune or a tool that weights more than my tent (and I'm neither looking for a tool that will break or dull on first impact.)

I thought that Cold Steel did have a good reputation but with these variants they must rip you off with one deal or the other.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
The difference is simple ... the steel. The expensive LTC uses Lyn Thompson's mystery steel (Carbon V). You won't find much in the way of documentation on this steel because apparently it changes every so often ... it;s a great steel with excellent edge retention, the only drawback being that it rusts.

1055 is a pretty bog standard carbon steel ... but it's great value when you look at the fact that you get a good quality cordura sheath.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
No lectures from me mate! :wink: In fact, I like the CS kuks. The handle can be a little rough but nothing that a bit of sandpaper can't fix.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Oh, the handles are different too ... polypropylene is hard while kraton is soft and rubbery.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Cold Steel products are nice, but Carbon V is no mystery at all. I'll look it up later, but there is an old post @ www.knifeforums.com revealing it as a a rather bread and butter steel with above average treatment. Many of CS products are actually outsourced, Camillus being one jobber. Lynne Thompson is an interesting bird. CS is located in my county and periodically they have open tent sales with slow moving items, sale examples etc. He has replicated many traditional tools and weapons with varing degrees of success. In my pre computer days I had an odd job at a equestrian float company. I was packing my finnish puukko and got 'the lecture.' I replied that if CS didn't charge just to get the catalog people might buy more. I have bought a few CS items, but I draw the line on traditional tools still available from the country of origon. To many wonderfull crafts and skills have been swallowed up by world Mc Donaldism. If I buy a kukri, it will be from Nepal.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I got the Kukri machete as a 'cheap and cheerful don't mind to much if it gets knackered' brush clearing chopper and for this it is good value for money. But, as you would expect, build quality is pretty poor e.g. the handle is very bendy and the steel is not the best quality. Nice sheath though.

B

Bex

I think the machete's are made in South Africa, the kurkri's in the US. Aside from the materials, the cost of workers is going to be significantly higher in the US.

Carbon V does vary according to which manufacturer Cold Steel is using at the time. A.G. Russell's comments on a thread in 'knifeforums.com':

The reason you cannot find Carbon V on anybody's list of steels is because it is whatever Lyn Thompson of Cold Steel says it is and that will change whenever he wants it to. In the past (I have no idea of the present) Carbon V has been a good quality, non stainless, tool steel and when made in this country by Buck, or Western, or Onterio or some other top factory and well heat treated. When knives are made in Red China, who knows how well they are made or of what. The other steels are all worth while and remain the same year after year no mater which steel mill makes them.

Mr Russell is one of the foremost authorities on the knife world and a long time retailer.

One peice kraton handles do have a habit of working loose under heavy use. I've found that personally myself with a Benchmade Delta Raider. Jerry Younkins, one time noted knife writer, has tested the Cold Steel ATC kukri and the blade tang worked itself through the kraton after use-this was on more than one test sample as well.

The above said, the old Blackjack Marauder parang/kopis hybrid had rave reviews with no reports of problems with the kraton handles. If you want something along these lines, try the Blackjack kukri currently being sold:

http://www.newgraham.com/warner.htm

These are sharpened with a convex edge-definately something you want in a chopping tool. Dont worry about the AUS 8 steel-I've had no problems with the well made Japanese made knives in this steel. I would definately pick the Blackjack over the Cold Steel model.

As far as Himalayan Imports go, I have never had less than exellent service from Uncle Bill. His guarantee is one of the best in the business. HI are the company that really put the kukri on the map, so to speak.

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/

I've not used Tora kukri's so I cant speak directly of their quality. They do guarantee their products though and are based in the UK, which may be more convenient for some. I have corresponded with Simon Hengle, the owner, regarding WW2 combatives, and he was very pleasant to converse with.

http://www.toratoratora.co.uk/[/quote]

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I'm very pleased with the Tora SF MK 3 Kukri that I got from Simon at Tora, I'd recommend their products and have had no problems with their service either (I'd rate it excellent). Just my two penn'orth :-D

Cheers

Shaun

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The CS khukri is the only CS product I have so it's not rocket science statistics but after a LOT of hard use the blade and handle are still firmly joined together. :-D

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Bex said:
The above said, the old Blackjack Marauder parang/kopis hybrid had rave reviews with no reports of problems with the kraton handles. If you want something along these lines, try the Blackjack kukri currently being sold:

http://www.newgraham.com/warner.htm

These are sharpened with a convex edge-definately something you want in a chopping tool. Dont worry about the AUS 8 steel-I've had no problems with the well made Japanese made knives in this steel. I would definately pick the Blackjack over the Cold Steel model.

quote]

I'd echo Bex - I've got an old Blackjack Reinhardt combat kukri thats been everywhere with me. It's a great tool and the convex edge works incredibly well.(though I must admit that sharpening it was a puzzle at first!)

You would be doing well if you could get hold of one of them as they're pretty collectible, but so far they're the tool that I measure all my other cutting tools against.

George

B

Bex

Adi007 said:
The CS khukri is the only CS product I have so it's not rocket science statistics but after a LOT of hard use the blade and handle are still firmly joined together. :-D

Good stuff. The problem is that while kraton is a great shock absorber, it isnt easy to keep fixed onto a knife tang. Peter Hjortberger, the owner of Fallkniven, once remarked on Knifeforums how hard it was to keep kraton handles on knives. I once had a kraton scale come off an old SOG Stingray folder I had.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Is this one of those harmonic convergences when all the planets line up? The tenent above me has an annoying collection of "noise" on CDs that would make a punk rock band take monastic vows of silence. So, I put on a CD of Tibetan lamas chanting. Suddenly I hear this knock on my door. I have several indian nieghbors, but I knew this gentleman was different. I asked if by chance he was nepalese. With a smile he stood ramrod straight and announced he was a retired seargent major of HRH's Gurkha Regiment-SA! This is California, so I guess why not. Turns out his son is over here and he came along until Nepal resolves the current turmoil. One thing led to another, and I am now a student of bantu marshal arts. I am getting really tired of 5' guys beating me up ( 2 years n'jitsu student in San francisco.) Running around the complex with this guy chopping down the shrubbery ( Monty Python music) with this issue kukhri while I patheticaly paried back 5 seconds to late was a bit much. If I live, I'll addd my expertise later. Now if HI can ship me a proper blade......

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
A lot of response girls, thanks a lot.

To summarise:

- original kukris are the best (and since Nepal has hardly any economy except the mount Everest and Ghurkhas, it’s the right thing to do to import their’s)

- CS is not bad at all but there are unclear/inconclusive things about their manufacturing and they have some strange stuf.

- Carbon V is a mystery, but it’s also not since it was decided what is, and also that they change it a lot. So we still don’t know what it is, but it is not bad at all. :roll:

- The CS kukri has better steel and a more comfortable handle than the CS kukri machete.

- So, the CS kukri is good, the CS kukri machete is not bad and very good compared to its very low price and for only a third of the price of the CS kukri and a bit more than the CS kukri machete, I could get a REAL kukri with the same specs from Tora.

- If you have noisy neighbours cal the Ghurkhas. :wink:

There's lots ot like about CS Kukris. such as the handle shape and overall flat package.
The Carbon V steel is great for casual chopping and lots of slicing work, too. Unfortunately for extended chopping on a variety of stuff, I haven't found the steel to hold an edge as well as either traditional kukris or real goloks. It's probably heresy to say that a blade made of some recycled who knows what - and zone hardened with clay or water from a tea kettle can beat high tech, but it's so in my experience. What's really strange is that for slicing, the Carbon V will hold up better. It depends on what is being chopped, and how the edge is reprofiled, I guess. It would be too much work for me to try nibbling down stuff with the original V bevel on the LTC, though, because I do a lot of clearing.
The details on what I found are here:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/ltc.html

I'll be putting up some pages this summer on traditional kukris.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Thanks for that OldJimbo ... funny how both yours and mine came with come of the coating left on the edge through the convex edge ground onto the blade.

I'll also second what you say about the lanyard hole - putting a wrist loop through that could be lethal if the blade slips out of your hand while chopping. I can't understand why it's there to be honest with you ... other than to add another feature to the blade

- lanyard hole

:roll:

Mine's seen a lot of hard use and so far (touch wood) the blade is not "pretzled" ... but we don't get an awful lot of opportunity to chop rea;;y hard wood up here in Wales! :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE