Cold Steel kukri's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Lanyard holes are not some vital accessory knifemakers take extra effort to drill. They are merely a very convenient hanger during various production processes. Peter of Fallkniven explained the hated notch on several blade patterns was used to secure the blank during production. I don't mind, it makes a convenient wire cutter. Lanyards started aboard ship. Dropping a knife aloft could impale somebody. They are naturals for paratroopers, mountain climbers and environmental activists in redwood trees. For most ground pounders 5 miles of paracord tied to an ankle makes more sense. I spent the night helping to locate a lost dis-orienteering student :roll: .

The only problem with a lanyard hole is that people might feel obliged to use it without thinking things through...
With any of the kukri blades, whether CS or traditional - there's lots to think through and learn, because they are prone to deflections and glances. A person even has to learn proper methods of sheathing /unsheathing. - especially with the traditional ones. They're about like most things to do with the outdoors - lots of learning and going slow and careful while one learns.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I have a maurader/ parang, it came "out of the box" hair shaving sharp!! I don't pack it, too sharp!!, if you goofed with it it had better happen outside a hospital or your a goner!! way more than a bit of stitchs involved here. beutiful piece of steel but sits in your hand like a ticked off rattlesnake! you know its gonna bite but you don't know who or what.

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
As an update, i did by the CS kukri machete. The shop I went to did also have the CS kukri and some original kukri’s but still I chose the machete.
The CS kukri was € 299,- (= 200 pounds) that’s far to much money to take out in the woods for me. No way. They had some fine original kukri’s varying in price between € 90 and € 200. Some of them where far to large and heavy, others had cracks in the horn handle and all of them had very heavy and cumbersome sheaths.

I was in need for a working tool, something to replace and possibly upgrade my machete. For the price (€ 30) I thought the CS kukri machete the best option.

Now, compared to the CS kukri, it’s a crude piece of kit. It’s cut from a piece of medium carbon steel sheet, almost 3 mm thick. Then a big machine grinded a bevel and the whole thing is covered in some black finish. According to the label it’s ‘baked on’ and it’s supposed to preserve rust. Now this black finish is covering the whole thing (except the handle), right till the edge. The label states that ‘the CS kukri machete comes with a working edge’. I guess they mean that it comes with an edge that needs some work. :roll: At least I will not conquer the great outdoors with something so blunt. It’s fine if you want to molest some stinging nettles but as a versatile ‘do-it-al-chopper’ it’s not enough. Now a medium carbon steel will never become a good razor but at an 45 degree angle I want it to dig into the wood I’m chopping and not glance off.

The handle is o.k. It’s much better than the crude hard plastic I was use to on my old machete. Of course you can see the edges of the mould, but the grip and feel are good and it looks sturdy. The balance is good too, and the shape of the blade allows chopping with a quick wrist action as wlee as with your whole arm.

I started working on the ‘working –edge’ now. The black finish comes of first and reveals scratches and dents and little imperfections from the crude grind. All are smaller than 1 mm, so I can get rid of them with a little work. The contrast between the black blade and the (now) shining edge actually looks quite good. I will keep working on it tomorrow and than give it a spin in my In-laws garden.

It comes with a sheath. Nothing fancy but I think it will do the job. It’s a piece of nylon cloth, with two peaces of hard plastic riveted together at the tip. One side is also held together by plastic rivets the other side is open so you can slide the machete in. It’s close with two straps. It has a belt loop, but I don’t thing I will use that a lot. A machete constantly dangling next to my knee is not my idea of adding fun to a hike. I will add some extra loops so I can strap it to my rucksack.

Oh and it has a lanyard hole. There should be a law against this! :nono:

Unless I chop off my typing fingers I will let you know how it works in the back yard wilderness next week.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I think we have got the same one woodsitter. IMO there's definately better machetes and choppers on the market. Mine was grinded wrong so I had an argument with the dealer. It turned out that I grinded it down so it was straight and now use it as an abuse tool. :wink:

Furface

Jan 13, 2005
Gloucester
Bit of a late follow on for this thread, but thought someone might be interested in this link http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/
If you want to buy a khukri, why not get one made in Nepal, by the local Nepalese artisans who make them from the Gurkha regiments.
No mystery about the steel, it comes from Indian army truck springs, as you can see on the site.

A mate just brought an unfinished blade back for me. I want to finish it with a Budda Dal handle, like they use on Tulwars. Not traditional Gorkha, but a traditional tool of the Sikhs. Will try to post some pictures when I get the handle.

By the way, this is the first time I've posted, so "Hya". :wave:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE